User Tag List

Thread: Why you should avoid sonos ( and any "smart device" for that matter )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why you should avoid sonos ( and any "smart device" for that matter )

Sonos explains why it bricks old devices with ‘Recycle Mode’ - The Verge

I'm working in IT and I understand you cannot support devices forever and that software requirements may render some upgrades impossible. However most Sonos devices have input ports. If they were as environmentally concerned as they say they should convert them to active speaker and propose the purchase of external dacs that can run the new sonos software instead of rendering them useless and ready for landfill.

Most connected "smart" devices can also be rendered dumb at any moment if the vendor decide to say so or goes bankrupt. I can understand the comfort that can provide a google home or amazon assistant device but nowadays we already all have a smartphone ready to tackle the same task. My opinion is we should steer away from buying such items, as well as health/fitness/wearables/devices that do not support any kind of open protocol.

So much waste.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why you should avoid sonos ( and any "smart device" for that matter )

I have never had nor will ever have any lazy home assistant who does absolutely nothing at all for anyone. How weird is this?
    Finding out how many people actually have these has been eye opening.

we are consumers to the core here in the USA. you said it already, we already have tools that do what this does. im writing this from a laptop computer, some relic.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why you should avoid sonos ( and any "smart device" for that matter )

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    I have never had nor will ever have any lazy home assistant who does absolutely nothing at all for anyone.
    Finding out how many people actually have these has mind eye opening.

we are consumers, you said it already, we already have tools that do what this does. im writing this from a laptop computer, some relic.
    Bolded part is so true. My dad has one. He uses it, along with some 'smart' light bulbs, to change the color of the lamp lights from white to red or green from the comfort of his recliner. He doesn't actually leave them on red or green, it's just a party trick he likes to show people 'hey look at this neat thing it can do!".

He also uses it to turn on the TV, which sucks. If there's a group of folks in the living room talking instead of quietly picking up the remote and pressing a button or two he has to yell "ALEXA, TURN ON THE TV". Also, it doesn't usually work. There's several pieces of equipment that all have to be turned on and set to the right input and whatnot, and from what I've seen it only gets it all right about 1/3rd of the time.

Even disregarding the fact that they're always listening to you, they're completely effing stupid. We got two for Christmas last year, both are still in the boxes in the garage. No. Thank. You.

If I made a TV show I would constantly put Alexa commands in the show to screw with people.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is disappointing news. I was thinking of moving to a Sonos system for music streaming to my stereo and the ability to add new zones and have synced music. I would probably do this with the connect product that is part of this program. I just want reliable high quality multi room streaming controlled by a phone/tablet with no voice features and it sounds like they are taking that option away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be an age thing (I am old) with these devices. This was my experience......

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...n-echo/3518896

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not getting the outrage. It seems that, as a consumer, you've got three choices:

1. Take Sonos' offer and brick your old device in exchange for a discount on a new device. Recycle your old device.
    2. Resell/give away your old device and buy the new device.
    3. Do nothing.

This is personal for me as a Connect owner. I'd be interested in the Port if it has better sound, and would probably end up going with option #1 since I don't know a lot of people using both a hifi system and Sonos. But if it doesn't sound better I'd go with option #3 .

I have no interest in, or intention of, using voice controls. Those creep me out, full stop.

If your outrage is just about Sonos not endlessly upgrading its existing hardware, well, why are you picking on Sonos?

Am I missing something?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    It may be an age thing (I am old) with these devices. This was my experience......

LOL

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unfortunately, this is just the reality of the modern world. smart devices are just another thing in the chain of obsolescence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in an apartment. There is only so much noise I can make before I start irritating the other owners in the building. 7 apartments connected by air shaft and elevator shaft so pretty easy to be heard. I have an original iPad that still communicates with iTunes Match well enough that any music put on any of our other devices ends up on the iPad, even though the OS is ancient. Basically just an iPod now, connected to a pair of Bose speakers and a power adapter. How much fidelity do I need? Not much evidently. Just a bit of music at dinner or on a Sunday morning while reading the paper. No Siri required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    I have never had nor will ever have any lazy home assistant who does absolutely nothing at all for anyone. [snip]
    If you think of Alexa as an Amazon point of sale terminal, it makes more sense.

"Alexa, send all my money to Jeff"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post

That's hilarious!

I'm not (that) old....but I have never owned a smartphone or any other of these devices. I have a flip phone that serves me well for communication with friends and family. Being retired probably makes it easier to get by without a more sophisticated phone. I've just never have experienced an overwhelming need to get one. I would however, like to have a camera within arms reach.