Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
all I can really speak to is the splitting.

I'm sure you're well versed but I find fancy-pants manual splitters a waste of money. I've never experienced any problems with the relatively cheap ones, and the complicated contraptions like the one you linked seem a little silly to me - it's f=ma and I can't imagine that zany springs or ramps or whatever are going to be of much use. Just have a look at the edge and make sure that there is a good double angle (that is, a few mm of about 45 degrees to the wood, transitioning to a more acute angle to the axe head after this). Not too heavy either - yeah, a 18 lb splitter sounds great until you're doing it more than a few whacks.

I have a Cub Cadet 22 (23?) ton splitter that I love. I've split probably 10 cords with it, had it for about three years, and it's never been in the shop. Starts on the first pull every time. Of course, SeaFoam or STA-BIL is your friend when you're not using it. Should you go this route, make sure that the contraption can change from a horizontal to a vertical position (I think most do now?) Your back will thank you.

Should you not go the mechanized route, it's nothing I couldn't manage with a splitting wedge and a sledgehammer. But man, it is so much nicer.
Splitting wedge and sledge hammer was the tool of choice when their splitter was last down. The Chopper thing is more a curiosity simply because it launches the pieces in rather dramatic fashion. Bookmarked the Cub Cadet website.

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
For small stuff you will be better off with a battery powered reciprocating saw.
Anything bigger call someone.
Huh, that's interesting. I have one of those. I guess a 2x4 is just a small rectangular tree.