Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Show Your Ink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Show Your Ink

While elements of the tattoos have "why's" (or at least personal motivation), the suit doesn't really. I pretty well knew I'd get a suit since I knew what tattoos were. From my perspective, I find it interesting that people who are into tattoos want anything less than a body suit. If you are into them, I'd think you'd want to be riddled with them. I've also had it in my head that they are all elements of one larger piece (the "one tattoo" idea), so of course empty skin meant more room for expansion.

I'm not really a half measures kind of guy.

I've also structured my life where I don't really have any social pushback. That might not be as much of an issue for kids these days, but 20 years ago walking down the path of a full black body suit, it was something to be considered.

*Side note- it took me about 10 years to get the sleeves done with some other bits, with several years off. Let's call that 9-12%. in 2013 I hooked up with Lew, and between him and my other travels I'd gone for the other 80 some odd. So it's been less linearly progressive than some folks, faster than others.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 11-20-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though nothing akin to Eric's, I have two tattoos and want more... The only thing I'd add is "adorning and enjoying the body." Simple as that. That is a rationale or explanation, but for most people, I doubt there is much "reasoning" behind them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's not really a "reasoned" thing. They are ink covered punctures that cost money, so it's defiantly moved more by desire than reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good deal. I think tattoos are really interesting, but I don't have any, and doubt I'll ever get one...but I won't say I'll never get one.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    From my perspective, I find it interesting that people who are into tattoos want anything less than a body suit.
    While I don't think I'll end up with a full body suit, I certainly want one and definitely won't stop getting tattooed until I can't for some reason. And, like you, when I first discovered tattoos and decided I wanted them, I wanted to be covered.

As for reasoning, some have very deep personal meaning and some are adornments, and I have no regrets, even for the ones I've covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While elements of the tattoos have "why's" (or at least personal motivation), the suit doesn't really. I pretty well knew I'd get a suit since I knew what tattoos were. From my perspective, I find it interesting that people who are into tattoos want anything less than a body suit. If you are into them, I'd think you'd want to be riddled with them. I've also had it in my head that they are all elements of one larger piece (the "one tattoo" idea), so of course empty skin meant more room for expansion.

I'm not really a half measures kind of guy.

I've also structured my life where I don't really have any social pushback. That might not be as much of an issue for kids these days, but 20 years ago walking down the path of a full black body suit, it was something to be considered.

*Side note- it took me about 10 years to get the sleeves done with some other bits, with several years off. Let's call that 9-12%. in 2013 I hooked up with Lew, and between him and my other travels I'd gone for the other 80 some odd. So it's been less linearly progressive than some folks, faster than others.
    I have a bunch of tattoos and I can definitely see myself being pretty well covered eventually. I'm in no rush, though - it's a journey, and I enjoy getting tattooed by a variety of folks. I'm lucky enough to live in the SF Bay Area where good tattooers are plentiful. Plus, you never know what the future will bring as far as new tattooing styles and imagery. As Don Ed Hardy once said, empty skin is like money in the bank.

To Eric's point, if you like tattoos, chances are you want to get more of them. Tattoos mean different things to different people but in every case it is about beautifying the body. Me, I just like getting them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow up to a recent session ("finished" my suit for my birthday, a year ahead of schedule):

I tried Tegaderm for the third time. Twice now with 3m stuff, once with Saniderm.

I used the 3m stuff first on my palm- seemed to work fine, but that was the time I had the least success with the palm. I don’t blame the product for that, though it may have had some influence. Generally uneventful.

Saniderm sheet- used this in the UK (I brought it myself) when I had my stomach done. Seemed fine at the time, although I had some scarring on non-tattooed areas I was attributing to ingrown hairs until…

3m larger size pads on my lower abdomen for about 48hrs this last time. Again, no issues on the fresh tattoo, but a blister forming at the edge of the bandage that covered both untattooed and well healed tattoo. It looks like an adhesive reaction, and I’m guessing this is what caused the stomach scarring mentioned above as it looks similar, but this time I noticed since it wasn’t fully covered by the bandage.

I’m generally NOT adhesive sensitive. In 20 years of tattooing I’ve only had one other instance when the shop switched to an off brand tape briefly.

In doing some reading from the medical industry, it seems that sometimes the adhesive causes non allergic blistering if it’s applied to skin with any moisture on it. I put it on after a shower/ towel/ drying period, but it’s certainly possible it was a water activated deal.

Anywho, this is neither a pro nor con review, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. If you decide to use it, just keep an eye on things, and if you are feeling any discomfort beyond some tightness from the fresh tattoo, I’d at least recommend removing it, cleaning and checking for any skin reactions. I think I’ll continue with my typical meat pads over night and then leave it the hell alone routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had major issues with tegaderm the one time I used it that resulted in some scaring. Now I try to heal dry and despite the incredible discomfort, the tattoos come out looking awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My artist has applied Tegaderm at the completion of the session. I wear it for 48 hours and then remove and don’t reapply. No issues with it so far.

Note: I’ve also used Tegaderm on road rash when I was racing and no reactions there but I don’t reapply after the initial application.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting, from the 4 artists ive seen, they've all advised some variation of: take the bandage/saran wrap off within 3 hours, shower with soap and lightly lather the area with your hands, blot dry when done. was told not to cover it and let it breathe, and to use a very light coating of regular unscented moisturizer a few times per day, like gold bond or aquaphor, so it doesn't dry out. once it's done scabbing/after about 10 days, it's good to go.
    granted, these are all smaller in size, than what you're all discussing, but i was surprised to see the duration of keeping the bandage on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done did my other paw and dome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done did my other paw and dome.
    Wow Eric, that's very cool. But all I can think of is "ow". :-)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a fair assessment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was waiting for a flight at SFO recently, and one person stood apart from the rest. Wary, not nervous. He had three tears below his right eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I was waiting for a flight at SFO recently, and one person stood apart from the rest. Wary, not nervous. He had three tears below his right eye.
    Prison tattoo? The tears have different meanings...solid, outlined, color can mean they killed someone, they’re mourning someone, they’re going to get even, they’re “owned” by someone, etc.

15 prison tattoos and their meanings
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first time I had a colonoscopy, the tech was a big biker chick with tattooed knuckles. I can't remember what they read- the drugs were good enough that I felt no pain, but was able to watch the monitor throughout.

When my wife arrived to pick me up, the biker chick told her, "he's as good looking inside as he is out."

You can't make this sh*t up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...or a memorial tattoo, or a big 90's John Waters fan or....

I try not to read too much meaning into people I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever they meant, he made it through security, and that was good enough for me.

And thanks for posting images of your ink. I am waiting to see the whole suit.

If you've never read D F Wallace's Infinite Jest, there is a particular section when he attends 12-step meetings and asks those attending about their ink. Worth reading. I wish I had paid more attention when we were at school together, because I have come to really like him through his writing.