Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Concerts you are going to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Concerts you are going to

Saw Mokoomba at the little theater downtown. For a band from Zimbabwe that made it big worldwide they threw down a completely over the top high energy show in a small venue in a little upstate NY town. Of course they may have been a little motivated because their US debut a few years ago at the free summer shows in the park. We are so freaking lucky here... and they did some amazing new stuff. They did an a capella that made me almost cry it was so beautiful. But then they did some stuff that made me forget I can't dance and got up and jumped around spastically. If you're in Berkeley this week head down to Freight and Salvage. You won't be sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a concert but the Beastie Boys Show was fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metallica in Vienna in August with my daughter (who lives in the 19th district). Bucket list band for me. I grew up a metal and punk kid in the 80s/90s. For whatever reason, I never saw Metallica in their prime, so I will settle for them as AARp-certified "metal" heads.

Band of Horses at Mishiwaka. Perfect band for one of the more unique venues in the country.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Just got two tickets and a babysitter for Son Volt at the Haw River Ballroom. Stoke level quite very highly high. It's a killer venue, too.
    Have fun! My big kid was a fan of several tracks on Trace when she was little. "Play it again, Daddy."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna see the Queen of Soul at a theater near me Friday night.
    At her prime, alive and kickin it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ever have the opportunity to hear Eighth Blackbird: Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This summer is shaping up to be great.

Chris Stapleton in July.

Corrosion of Conformity in August.

Social Distortion and Flogging Molly in September.

Tickets purchased for all. So stoked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Like Heaven

No Cure

Phoenix
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Beach House
    MGMT
    Grizzly Bear
    The Rapture

So, only 30% shitty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Have fun! My big kid was a fan of several tracks on Trace when she was little. "Play it again, Daddy."
    I’m on the waiting list to see Son Volt at Levon’s Barn. I’ve been a Farrar/Tweedy fan since hearing Uncle Tupelo on WFUV in the early 90s. I’ve seen Son Volt with a couple line-ups. Always good. If you didn’t catch it, this show streamed live last week. Watch Son Volt live in concert at First Avenue | The Current

Saw the Dimmer Twins (Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley of Drive-by Truckers) last week. The next big shows will be Wilco’s Solid Sound in June.

seen them multiple times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure I've posted about the New Orleans Jazz Fest before, but so what, I'm still coming down from this afternoon. So in 1 afternoon session (and with the "local thursdays discount price of $50), I saw Lena Prima (daughter of the late great Louis Prima), punctuated by a trip over to the grand stand to catch some Cubano guitar/samba/ while scoring a beer and some air conditioning, followed by some pretty good Zydeco (Geno Delafose), swung back by the tent where Ms. Prima had played to see some great standard jazz cats, then about a half hour of Rita Coolidge, then over to the gospel tent to find some religion (a few years back saw Aaron Nevllle doing a capella gospel spirituals) then frigging Mavis Staples for a good half hour or so (that included a ridiculously good cover of the Talking Heads Slippery people (which is apparently something I had missed back in the 20th century ) and finally moved over to watch Ziggy Marley for a few songs before ending the day with old man Tom Jones who, in keeping with the covers theme, gave a great set that included, besides his classic (and not tired) hits, a not too shabby rendition of Prince's Kiss --and I arrived too late to catch Cowboy Mouth and Anders Osborne, among a few others. In short, if you have the chance before you die to do a day or two of the jazz fest where literally 40+ acts (10 stages rolling at once) per day play, all over by sunset so if you have the energy to go to the club scene after you can get more, and for snack/lunch you are stuck choosing between Viet Namese spring rolls or Soft Shell crab po boys or Crawfish bread, or oyster, or...you get the picture (I missed out on the Pheasant, quail and andouille gumbo). Just do it. Totally forgot to mention that the Stones had cancelled for today, replaced by widespread panic, whom I missed for the Tom Jones set. tough call but my wife's family has a thing for the welshman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been a bucket list item for years but I've never pulled the trigger out of concern for crowd size, heat and are you standing all day? The food
    is a no brainer. Rita Coolidge must have been a treat.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    This has been a bucket list item for years but I've never pulled the trigger out of concern for crowd size, heat and are you standing all day? The food

Mike
    Somebody my wife worked with rents a house with a bunch of friends every year. They're very serious music people, they sniff out the aftershow shows. We've been invited. "The only rules are there are no rules". You sleep whenever you stumble back in on whatever horizontal surface you can find and if you can't find one you sleep standing up, it sounds like. It certainly sounds like a great time but I'm not sure I'm young enough any more to do that and not take a month to recover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post

Mike
    the heat and crowds are the price you pay, although as I said the cancellation of the Stones helped immensely because it was a rare "one day only" ticket that was stupid expensive so they had not sold that many, plus it is not the weekend. there are several stages that are under a tent with seats, and you are allowed to bring in chairs and reasonably sized tarps for sitting on the grassy areas, and music from a few stages filters into the area under the big live oaks that give nice shade with no crowds. thankfully this has been a dry year so that works well. when it rains, it is sloppy and stinky (venue is the horse track). It has gotten way too big and expensive, and the likes of Katy Perry and PitBull (insert your own big act that has nothing to do with jazz or heritage here) have no place in my mind, only making crowds and ticket prices worse, but it is what it is and luckily those folks crowd around the big stages and leave the other stuff for those in the know. Plus, like I said, the fest ends at dusk at which point the club scene takes over and there are literally shows from early evening until 3 in the morning if you have the stamina. and crawfish are in season this time of year. you can go pick up a sack at any seafood dealer and have a picnic in the park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I probably should take back my diss at Katy Perry--apparently she gave a great show and included both the Soul Rebels and the Gospel Soul children in her act. just goes to prove that you never know what you're going to get. but Kiss? .......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    I’m on the waiting list to see Son Volt at Levon’s Barn. I’ve been a Farrar/Tweedy fan since hearing Uncle Tupelo on WFUV in the early 90s. I’ve seen Son Volt with a couple line-ups. Always good. If you didn’t catch it, this show streamed live last week. Watch Son Volt live in concert at First Avenue | The Current

Saw the Dimmer Twins (Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley of Drive-by Truckers) last week. The next big shows will be Wilco’s Solid Sound in June.

seen them multiple times
    Just had our show last night. It was a great night - great venue, good company, tight band. If you've seen them before maybe Jay's always like this and you know, but he didn't budge an inch from the set list - no audience banter/story-telling ... and he wore sunglasses all night. They were there to rock and roll. It was fine with me, but I was also glad to have my neighbor who had seen them before set my expectations - JF don't got much to say. The new material is good, though, and they played a cross section of tons of their other stuff, too. The band was great.

Hope you get in; that'd be a cool spot to see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Somebody my wife worked with rents a house with a bunch of friends every year. They're very serious music people, they sniff out the aftershow shows. We've been invited. "The only rules are there are no rules". You sleep whenever you stumble back in on whatever horizontal surface you can find and if you can't find one you sleep standing up, it sounds like. It certainly sounds like a great time but I'm not sure I'm young enough any more to do that and not take a month to recover.
    As I was reading these posts, I kept scrolling back up to see more of the conversation, thinking "that does not sound like my experience of the Montreal Jazz Fest at all."

Oh, yeah. NOLA. Montreal was great too - only been once so maybe it's rowdier than I thought, anyway. But NOLA makes more sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Just had our show last night. It was a great night - great venue, good company, tight band. If you've seen them before maybe Jay's always like this and you know, but he didn't budge an inch from the set list - no audience banter/story-telling ... and he wore sunglasses all night. They were there to rock and roll. It was fine with me, but I was also glad to have my neighbor who had seen them before set my expectations - JF don't got much to say. The new material is good, though, and they played a cross section of tons of their other stuff, too. The band was great.

Hope you get in; that'd be a cool spot to see them.
    The show was last week, and I did get in. Levon Helm’s barm is a really small, intimate venue, and really is hallowed ground. I was hoping that Jay would be a little more engaging given the venue. But Jay doesn’t have much stage presence. I have seen the band and Jay a few times before, and this wasn’t unexpected. He did try at one point to tell a story about visiting and meeting Levon years ago, but I would have liked to have heard more. The band was really good, and I liked the set list in that it was heavy in older stuff from the first couple of albums, with a handful of songs from Union, which is OK, but not my favorite Son Volt/Farrar effort.

My next shows are the Bottle Rockets at a local bar, then Solid Sound. After I see Jay, I really appreciate Tweedy and his ability to connect with an audience and banter. It’s too bad the two of them can’t patch things up so Son Volt could play Solid Sound and perhaps the two of them could collaborate again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hangar in Troy? Some day I need to get over there and check it out.

Two shows at the Van Dyck coming up Moshulu and then Popa Chubby, did get tickets to Johnny Lang at the Egg this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hangar in Troy. Tiny place with a small stage and bar on one end. Standing room mostly. But it gets good acts. I’ve seen NRBQ there a few times, Larry McMurty, Hayes Carll. It’s a fun place. Beers across the street at the Ale House and then to the Hangar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be a good show with Sarah Borges there too. "Are you still takin them pills?"