User Tag List

Thread: Small rice cooker recommendation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Small rice cooker recommendation

Folks...I'm looking for a small rice cooker for a Christmas present for our daughter...recommendations are appreciated.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small rice cooker recommendation

This small Aroma was given to me by the kids last spring. It produces excellent white rice, though it claims to have cycles for brown and do steaming. I’ve only done brown rice once, and it was fine.

Easy to clean. Quiet and doesn’t steam or spit while working. I believe this is the smallest model. Perfect for 1-4 people. <$50.
    Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD 8-Cup (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, Stainless Steel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a ricer cooker and so much more. No kidding, I can't miss. Rice + Water + very low flame = perfect rice.

Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Matte Black Round Dutch Oven

Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Matte Black Round Dutch Oven, 1-quart | Cutlery and More

25029.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to miss a lot on the rice front. I wash the rice until the water runs clear, use the prescribed water to rice ratio, but it never ends up like in the Thai restaurants. Always over-hydrated -- swelled up and a bit mushy. Maybe it's the copper pot, too low heat, too high heat, or the moon.

I'm thinking a Zojirushi, but hate to get another gadget that sits next to the waffle iron, if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine from Laos showed me this method at his restaurant when I asked him to recommend a small rice cooker. 1cup rice rinse till water runs clear put in small pan add enough water to be about a 1/2 inch over the rice, boil uncovered until the rice is exposed then cover and turn the heat down as low as possible and cook till the water is gone. Best rice I've ever made, takes about 15 minutes start to finish. The key is to boil it uncovered.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanyo rice cooker - ~$28, - ours is 12 yrs old and is used at least 2x week for rice or quinoa , may not be as sexy as the digital stainless steel monsters out there but who really uses all of those features

one button and simple, no electronic crap - good for 1-2 people

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Frank said. That plus a nice heavy small pot and it's a home run every time. I DO have a zojirushi for cooking larger amts. and it is a no-brainer and the result is especially good if you rinse the rice until the water runs clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this is what we have ... Amazon.com: Zojirushi NSRNC1FZ Automatic Rice Cooker and Warmer 5.5-Cup/1.-Liter, Spring Bouquet: Kitchen & Dining

while i'm all for using one knife or pot to do it all, a rice cooker is one single purpose toy that we both enjoy greatly. one advantage of the rice cooker Vs in-pot method, you leave the rice in there all day. its warm and ready when you are. have a little rice with lunch and again for dinner. leave it over night and its fresh and ready for the breakfast of champions ... scrambled eggs and rice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    if you want convenience, hard to beat the instant pot...fastest rice cooker i've ever used...and you can use it for much more...i believe the cook cycle (after warming) is a mere 12 minutes...my other rice cooker takes at least an hour

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Zojirushi, and it does have a bit of a learning curve in terms of washing the rice. The key was getting the plastic rice washing bowl as recommended by our neighbor the Japanese chef. However, while the Zojirushi is programmable so you can load it up, and it will start cooking at a preset time, I don't think the rice is all that much better than when I was cooking everything in a little Panasonic rice cooker. Those things are great. The set that Amazon sells with the washing bowl and the two rice paddles is great. And as much as I like Japanese rice, I think Lundberg short grain brown rice is really good.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, the Panasonic style rice cookers never got it right. burnt bottom, crunchy up top.
    I am a huge proponent of the Zojirushi (got one used of amazon). for only $20 more than the Panasonic. Game changer for me. I like set and forget, the keep warm feature. Programmable for sushi rice etc.
    However--brown rice takes forever! be forewarned.
    I like white rice more anyway. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I applaud the Instant Pot for its speed and programmability, for some reason I just don't like the texture of rice cooked in it. I've got a 12-year-old Aroma rice cooker, and it's great, though not as fast. My wife is in love with her Instant Pot and tries to cook everything in it (well, not EVERYthing, but you get the idea). I prefer the older methods, slow as they are.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the small Tiger JNP model for years.

Been a long time since I cooked rice in it. But it does great with oat and other grain meals I like for breakfast as well as soups and vegetables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IH Jar Rice Cooker: The Special Duty-Free Website Toshiba Living Doors

If money is no option.....

But seriously, just buy a little Tiger or Zojirushi and you will be fine. The quality of the rice she buys will make a much bigger difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This is a ricer cooker and so much more. No kidding, I can't miss. Rice + Water + very low flame = perfect rice.
    Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Matte Black Round Dutch Oven
    Way to go TT. When I was little my two Aunts would go into the kitchen and make rice for 35 people in a massive single pot. Think about that. This is the purist way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I seem to miss a lot on the rice front. I wash the rice until the water runs clear, use the prescribed water to rice ratio, but it never ends up like in the Thai restaurants. Always over-hydrated -- swelled up and a bit mushy. Maybe it's the copper pot, too low heat, too high heat, or the moon. I'm thinking a Zojirushi, but hate to get another gadget that sits next to the waffle iron, if you know what I mean.
    if it is too mushy upon completion, open the lid stir it around, put the li back on and let it sit for another 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    A friend of mine from Laos showed me this method at his restaurant when I asked him to recommend a small rice cooker. 1cup rice rinse till water runs clear put in small pan add enough water to be about a 1/2 inch over the rice, boil uncovered until the rice is exposed then cover and turn the heat down as low as possible and cook till the water is gone. Best rice I've ever made, takes about 15 minutes start to finish. The key is to boil it uncovered.
    Forget the ruler...finger tip to about halfway up to first knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    you leave the rice in there all day. its warm and ready when you are. have a little rice with lunch and again for dinner. leave it over night and its fresh and ready for the breakfast of champions ... scrambled eggs and rice.
    Those who are more adventuresome might add a little oyster sauce and chinese sausage...alternatively get some Portuguese sausage and pretend you are in Maui

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If this is for a daughter in college, I'm guessing OP wants something very small and inexpensive. Most of these solutions are too big.

I've had a chance to use a Toshiba Honhagama, and it really is amazing. But it isn't easy. It needs careful maintenance. And it's expensive. If you like to cook rice and want a new level of experience, do try it out.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    I've used this method for years and it outdoes my rice cooker every time. The rice is perfect.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the sage advice, folks! My wife ordered the Zojirushi and it will be placed under the Christmas tree and then travel West to Seattle.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Thanks for the sage advice, folks! My wife ordered the Zojirushi and it will be placed under the Christmas tree and then travel West to Seattle.
    You won't regret that.