User Tag List

Thread: Bald guys...Clippers...Shavers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Bald guys...Clippers...Shavers...

I have a Wahl, and it's bloody torture. I mean it gets it nice and short, but it definitely leaves me sore, and if I tilt incorrectly I get a good gank.

I want a mindless electric, preferably rechargeable, buzzer/shaver that I can use to mindlessly keep the pate shorn.

My beard is like barbed wire.

I can't shave my head either, no matter what I've tried I get ingrown hair and bumps, so no dice there.

Thanks for the recs...
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bald guys...Clippers...Shavers...

I have an earlier version of this Braun. I use it for my head and my beard, and I have no complaints.
    It seems like the newer model is a little more adjustable than mine. If mine died today, I'd probably get one of these.

http://us.braun.com/en-us/products/m...trimmer-bt5050
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Andis Speedmaster that has given great service keeping me out of the barber shop for over 7 years. I still wet shave the face...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same experience with a Wahl cutting my scalp. After dropping it one time too many, went with an Oster FastFeed which is much better.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Oster 76 that is about 20 years old. Works like new. Same cutter most barbers use. Strong motor, durable case, on off toggle and beefy cord of considerable length. Comes with a couple blades, including the 000, which is what I use. Basically takes hair down to 1/8". If you want it all gone, get the 00000 (that's 5 zeroes) and you can pretty much get everything down to the skin without burying the hair in the skin like an electric shaver might. Keep the blades cleaned and lubed and they stay sharp a long time. Replacement cost for the blades is about $20, so when they dull, it is sort of a toss up whether to resharpen or replace. Meanwhile as long as you don't drop the motor in the toilet, it will keep going long after you've switched out the blades.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's cutting your scalp it's out of adjustment/alignment.

I use a Wahl Senior, works great, not rechargeable though. It's less clipper than the one in Jorn's post but much better than then low end units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These look like they do a pretty good job.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have an Oster 76 that is about 20 years old. Works like new. Same cutter most barbers use. Strong motor, durable case, on off toggle and beefy cord of considerable length. Comes with a couple blades, including the 000, which is what I use. Basically takes hair down to 1/8". If you want it all gone, get the 00000 (that's 5 zeroes) and you can pretty much get everything down to the skin without burying the hair in the skin like an electric shaver might. Keep the blades cleaned and lubed and they stay sharp a long time. Replacement cost for the blades is about $20, so when they dull, it is sort of a toss up whether to resharpen or replace. Meanwhile as long as you don't drop the motor in the toilet, it will keep going long after you've switched out the blades.
    Listen to Jorn. I've been using this exact setup...Classic 76 + 000 for 14 years... takes me 4-6 minutes every couple of weeks.