Thread: Paint Pen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint Pen?

Amazing work Tom.

I like playing with posca pen too but as I'm nowhere near your talent I usually stick to the bigger sizes and rough naive schemes.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should clarify. I spayed small areas of black, white, and pink on the old base coat, then masked over them with circular masks that I cut, followed by the green metallic base. I used the posca pens to paint (or draw) the patterns inside the circles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to provide a few more examples, the posca paint pens allow mixing of the paint on the bike, provided there is enough bite to the base coat. Here are two more examples of bikes that I painted for my wife, both of which have large areas covered with posca paints and they have both held up well for over 5 years of regular use....no fading or chipping of the clear coat over the hand painted areas. I use the two finest pen sizes they offer for this sort of detailed work. There are so many beautifully crafted handmade frames on this forum, but I find it surprising that more of them are not hand painted, although artwork on a bike frame is certainly not to everyones liking. In any case, for those that want to experiment, the posca paints have worked very well for me. The trick is really to prepare the base coat with a fine sandpaper if it's not a matt colour to begin with. I suppose if you really wanted to do it properly with base - clear coat paint systems, you would have to clear the base in the appropriate time window, then sand the clear, apply the hand painted work, and clear again. I hope this serves as some inspiration. good luck, T. Nagel. IMG_3342.jpgIMG_2711.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomN View Post
    There are so many beautifully crafted handmade frames on this forum, but I find it surprising that more of them are not hand painted, although artwork on a bike frame is certainly not to everyones liking.
    That's because there's nothing synonymous with the ability to stick 8 tubes together and artistic creativity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12