User Tag List

Thread: Let's talk baked eggplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let's talk baked eggplant

Guys I need a recipe for a thick mound of baked eggplant.

Need easy and delish for I'm kitchen challenged but I want to: slice eggplant, layer cheese, add tomato sauce, and slide into the oven to surprise Mrs holliscx this week.

Watcha got?

ps eggplant rolatini or anything in the eggplant world that rocks i welcome any recipes

Grazie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's talk baked eggplant

My version of imam bayildi, copied from my memories of the work canteen in the winery in Turkey. It's worth noting that the Turks aren't afraid of oil.

Remove calyx from eggplant, slice in two lengthways, scoop out flesh trying to keep both it and the remaining hull complete.

Sprinkle hulls with olive oil and bake in a slow oven until they begin to soften.

Meanwhile, soften a sliced onion by sauteeing gently in olive oil, add garlic, tinned tomato and paste and lots of fresh thyme (I also add capsicum and some green vegie, these are not tradititional) cook gently until vegies are done.

While this is cooking down, cube the eggplant flesh (about 3 cm a side) and fry it in lots of olive oil until it browns and softens. Add a generous quantity of whole cumin seeds half way through this process.

Mix the eggplant cubes through the sauce, spoon it into the eggplant halves and put it back into the oven until you are ready to serve. Can be sprinkled with sesame seeds and kalonji if a garnish is required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That recipe sounds amazing. I am afraid of,oil and eggplant and like to go easy on the oil.

Well, not baked however this is amazing. Cut eggplant into long 1/2 inch thick strips and bake until a little charred under the broiler. Scrape the cooked eggplant away from the skins into a bowl and reserve. In a heavy cast iron pan saute minced garlic, onion, cracked pepper, oregano, salt until carmelized be gentle you dont want to burn garlic yo. Combine everything with a little extra olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and use on damn near anything. Toasted rosemary baugette might rule :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    My version of imam bayildi, copied from my memories of the work canteen in the winery in Turkey. It's worth noting that the Turks aren't afraid of oil.

Remove calyx from eggplant, slice in two lengthways, scoop out flesh trying to keep both it and the remaining hull complete.

Sprinkle hulls with olive oil and bake in a slow oven until they begin to soften.

Meanwhile, soften a sliced onion by sauteeing gently in olive oil, add garlic, tinned tomato and paste and lots of fresh thyme (I also add capsicum and some green vegie, these are not tradititional) cook gently until vegies are done.

While this is cooking down, cube the eggplant flesh (about 3 cm a side) and fry it in lots of olive oil until it browns and softens. Add a generous quantity of whole cumin seeds half way through this process.

Mix the eggplant cubes through the sauce, spoon it into the eggplant halves and put it back into the oven until you are ready to serve. Can be sprinkled with sesame seeds and kalonji if a garnish is required.
    You read my mind. Imam Bayildi Recipe - NYT Cooking

İmam Bayıldı (Stuffed Eggplant Boats)

My brother and I sorta invented our own version of this recipe where you heap all the onions and garlic and parsley and garlic on half an eggplant and bake it uncovered.. the onions and garlic caramelize and get really yummy. We at it hot, rather than room temp... and was killer.. the real deal is also scrumptious but a bit oily..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I have a craving for Imam Biyaldi except the neighborhood Greek place closed down. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Now I have a craving for Imam Biyaldi except the neighborhood Greek place closed down. -Mike G
    Greeks make it too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sure do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to translate this for my Italian class....sounds tasty!!
    Ricetta Pasta alla Norma - Le Ricette di GialloZafferano.it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any recipes that skew towards eggplant lasagna? I'm thinking more along the lines of a dish that you bake that has layer upon layer of eggplant with a nice foundation of cheese. I eat something similar at a local place and find that I crave it often; it doesn't seem terribly difficult to make. When I was in college at a small liberal arts school in TN there was a hole-in-the-wall country bumpkin "Italian restaurant" that made an eggplant rolatini that I long for to this day, but I've never come across any recipes. It was heavier on the cheese than the eggplant but still it was a delicious dish. A good eggplant dish really hits on multiple levels for me. Will check these out one by one thanks. Yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Musakka, aka Moussaka (by the Greeks). Classic Moussaka Recipe - Taste.com.au

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife cooks a mean non-meat lasagne with slices of grilled eggplant layered in. Cheese is a mixture of ricotta and mozzarella and sometimes smoked scamorza.
    I make a lazy husband version of this as a pasta... (torn slices of grilled eggplant with thin slices of smoked scamorza, rich tomato sauce, penne lisce).
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking for a simple recipe that lets the eggplant shine. Moussaka for example the lamb does nothing for me; adding a lot of extra ingredients seems superfluous when the hero is so good on its own. I don't think I'm looking for much more beyond eggplant + cheese + oil and oven time. But I'm so novice in the kitchen I need instructions to follow to do that with table pleasing results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sultan's Delight (Hünkar Beğendi) is a simple dish, and you can swap out the braised lamb for any kind of meat. Serve over bulgur or rice. (normally I cheat a little and add a bit of liquid smoke, just to give it a little more).

This recipe sounds about right:
    Braised Lamb Over Silky Eggplant Purée ( Sultan's Delight) Recipe | Epicurious.com
    Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Anyone have any recipes that skew towards eggplant lasagna?
    This veggie lasagna is really great -- just sub eggplant instead of zucchini. The tofu 'cheese' is actually really good, but you can always use ricotta.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Veget.../dp/0446515612

It's on page 278, which you can get for free from the "Look Inside" search mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I'm looking for a simple recipe that lets the eggplant shine. Moussaka for example the lamb does nothing for me; adding a lot of extra ingredients seems superfluous when the hero is so good on its own. I don't think I'm looking for much more beyond eggplant + cheese + oil and oven time. But I'm so novice in the kitchen I need instructions to follow to do that with table pleasing results.
    Ever try babaganoush? So good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottolenghi is the go to source for eggplant recipes right now, I think. He includes lots of ingredients, and you can be flexible with some of the seasonings.

Maybe try this: Aubergine kuku

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not, I can actually connect eggplants to bicycles:

Over 10 years ago I was having a heck of a time picking a color for my Waterford 2200. One night on my way home from work I stopped off at the grocery store and noticed the eggplants. Some of them had a really cool deep, but not too too dark, purple and I knew that's what I wanted for the frame. I searched around and finally found a PPG color that was just right, and that's what they used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Believe it or not, I can actually connect eggplants to bicycles:

Over 10 years ago I was having a heck of a time picking a color for my Waterford 2200. One night on my way home from work I stopped off at the grocery store and noticed the eggplants. Some of them had a really cool deep, but not too too dark, purple and I knew that's what I wanted for the frame. I searched around and finally found a PPG color that was just right, and that's what they used.
    Well if this is bike eggplant, this invites the question of whether a French or an Italian eggplant is better. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lasagna with eggplant is easy and delish! Trim the skin off, dredge in flour and egg, pan fry...Then build a lasagna. I also make eggplant rollatinis with thin sliced prosiutto ham inside, rolled and tied with twine, cooked slowly in the sauce.
    Hans Hagman
    Warwick, Rhode Island