Quote Originally Posted by jt10000 View Post
I've had pumps mounted like this a years - sometimes with the lowerpart on the chainstay/dropout as you do, and sometimes on the tip of the quick-release lever. I use a strap as you have. It works fine, but the one problem is that water/gunk from the road tends to get to the pump. I've tried to cover the edge of the handle with a sort of boot made from an inner tube, which helps. But this position seems to kill pumps faster. Under the top tube is much better for the pump - the only downside to that position, if it can work on your bike, is if you tend to lift the bike a lot with your hands/shoulders.
I went for the rear-stay solution on account of living in a 3rd-floor apartment and shouldering my bike up and down stairs every ride. If I were to fit and remove an HPX pump under the TT every ride I expect the paintwork would be chipped to hell in no time. Not ideal, as I plan to upgrade from this frameset in the next year or so.
I thought I saw chrome clip-on pump pegs somewhere online, but can't find them for sale - does anyone know where I could get one? Then I could simply move the HPX#2 to the TT and hold it against the ST with said clip-on peg.
The upside-down nature of the pump as it is now does lend itself to water and crud dribbling down into the handle.

TH, the bearing and washer is a fine idea. If I had any means of bending and machining metal, I'd probably go for it!