Thread: Conspiracy Theorists and Other Nut Jobs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Conspiracy Theorists and Other Nut Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Most U.S. emigrants hale from Central and South America, then Asia, then Africa then Europe. Asian, Central and South American vax rates are higher than the U.S. I do not know about Africa and Europe.
    Yep, Latin American immigrants are all for vaccinations. One thing the governments get right down there is universal vaccination. Plus there's still a kind of communal consciousness or memory of the pre-vaccination days. My mom, who was born in a town of 500, that still doesnt have indoor plumbing and where phone service didn't arrive until the late 90's; well, she had all her vaccinations before moving to de Joo Ess in the 70s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And since folks don't want links posted without comment, here's mine:

This gentleman is either frighteningly stupid or frighteningly cynical. Either way, he's also the Chair of the US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Which frightens me.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll assume the latter. Both parties can be quite theatrical, unfortunately. Politicians think they are actors and actors think they are politicians. Neither entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd challenge the idea that most immigrants from South America are fully vaccinated. Here in Dallas we have outbreaks of tuberculosis directly related to folks coming here from South America and Mexico.

TB has been so successfully eradicated in the US that we don't innoculate in the US anymore, unless a health care worker will have exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    I'd challenge the idea that most immigrants from South America are fully vaccinated. Here in Dallas we have outbreaks of tuberculosis directly related to folks coming here from South America and Mexico.

TB has been so successfully eradicated in the US that we don't innoculate in the US anymore, unless a health care worker will have exposure.
    That's the beauty of the Internet. You can BELIEVE what you want...or, you know, you could look at the data. Hell, even HONDURAS has a higher immunization rate than we do.

PAHO Health Information Platform - Immunization Coverage by Countries
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    That's the beauty of the Internet. You can BELIEVE what you want...or, you know, you could look at the data. Hell, even HONDURAS has a higher immunization rate than we do.

PAHO Health Information Platform - Immunization Coverage by Countries
    Nice cherry pick , Guatemala , El Salvador , Mexico, the three largest countries of origin Immunization rates are either lower than or similar to the US. Would it stand to reason that those crossing the border would be of the poorest from those nations and thus be in the NOT immunized category?
    Loki E. Loki

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Nice cherry pick , Guatemala , El Salvador , Mexico, the three largest countries of origin Immunization rates are either lower than or similar to the US. Would it stand to reason that those crossing the border would be of the poorest from those nations and thus be in the NOT immunized category?
    Likely not. Smuggling business is expensive. Moreover, Mexico has subsidized health care and NGOs (some funded by Bill Gates) support immunization in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely not. Smuggling business is expensive..
    What is your thinking here?? How does it relate?

Moreover, Mexico has subsidized health care and NGOs (some funded by Bill Gates) support immunization in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
    Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras all have lower immunization rates than the U.S. as of 2014 per the Washington Post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reference back to my earlier point about cultural prejudices, I mentioned immigration, but did not imply South or Central America. Yet that's where ya'll went full-tangent.

FWIW, the CDC cites immigration as the source of all measles cases/outbreaks in the US -- not Disneyland or anti-vaxxers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    FWIW, the CDC cites immigration as the source of all measles cases/outbreaks in the US -- not Disneyland or anti-vaxxers.
    Source is one thing, the reason for significant spreading given the initial contamination is another.

In the recent past there wouldn't be a lot of spreading because a larger % of the population was immunized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

And since folks don't want links posted without comment, here's mine:

This gentleman is either frighteningly stupid or frighteningly cynical. Either way, he's also the Chair of the US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Which frightens me.
    It's simple just look at the source of funds for his campaign finance committee and leadership pac.
    1. Oil & Gas
    2. Electric Utilities
    3. Lobbyists

In the O&G, you get the usual suspects- Koch, Devon Energy. Murray Energy, Valero. Pure cynicism is my view

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    What is your thinking here?? How does it relate?
    Apparently following thread conversations is not among your skills.

In response to an earlier post, Loki suggests undocumented migrants likely have lower immunization rates than their population as whole because they were from the poorest communities in those countries. In fact most Central American undocumented migrants are from the lower middle classes and working poor.

The poorest in Mexico and Central American are the indigenous peoples who for the most part do not have the resources to even consider coming north for work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB rates in Mexico and Central America are higher than in the U.S. but certainly nothing compared to other areas of the world and not in anything that would support fear of epidemics: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...bles____2_.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    Immigration from where? According to the data, measles immunization in Mexico and the rest of Central America are not quite at U.S. levels (which in turn are lower than many other nations) but are no where near the lowest. Mexico has better immunization rates than France.

Immunization, measles (% of children ages 12-23 months) | Data | Table

Perhaps we should start denying French travel to the U.S.? Warn U.S. citizens about travel to France?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a coherent argument for why reducing carbon emissions isn't good for the long term health of our country, or for the world? Does anyone have a reason for why taking carbon that's been locked in the ground for hundreds of millions of years and putting it back into the air is good for my kids and grand kids and their kids? It's really productive and all to hate Al Gore I suppose, but what is the long term game plan here? Does the earth just shake all this off or do you not care because you'll be dead? If you deny climate science, what do you really stand for, what are your beliefs? I'm curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently following thread conversations is not among your skills.

In response to an earlier post, Loki suggests undocumented migrants likely have lower immunization rates than their population as whole because they were from the poorest communities in those countries. In fact most Central American undocumented migrants are from the lower middle classes and working poor.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Unaccompanied children 12 years old and younger in by far the fastest growing segment of unaccompanied children illegally entering the U.S. Fact.

Lower Middle Class families (or working poor) from South American & Central American countries don't send their grade school children alone to sneak into the U.S. on foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...,conspiracy theories are all we have to chose from. I told my home room class that there was going to be an earthquake at 11:35 am and many of them were frightened and asked to use their phones to call home. Hey Zeus, save us from the experts and other practical jokers.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More nut cases - Texas isn't a state, it's an independent republic with their own currency...

http://nyti.ms/18v1JVU

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011