Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Zukas Cycles

Got my spot in the build queue finally!! STOKED!!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lug work...

IMG_2382 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2386 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2390 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2391 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2394 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2392 by Nate Zukas, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nate,
    I've been following your craft for a while now, with mixed feelings.
    From what I can tell your craftsmanship is impeccable, but I have a comment and a question.
    First the comment; I don't get your off-center seat post clamps. Looks to me like trying to hard to differentiate yourself from the crowd when your quality brazing has already taken care of that.
    Next the question; where did you learn design? and I mean design as in putting the wheels in the right place, not as in mixing the right colors. What's the story behind the angles and dimensions for a custom frame?
    Henrique
    un abrazo,
    Henrique Tono

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htono View Post
    Nate,
    I've been following your craft for a while now, with mixed feelings.
    From what I can tell your craftsmanship is impeccable, but I have a comment and a question.
    First the comment; I don't get your off-center seat post clamps. Looks to me like trying to hard to differentiate yourself from the crowd when your quality brazing has already taken care of that.
    Next the question; where did you learn design? and I mean design as in putting the wheels in the right place, not as in mixing the right colors. What's the story behind the angles and dimensions for a custom frame?
    Henrique
    Hi Henrique, Good comment and question! The off center seat clamp was a thought that occurred to me when I did my first seat mast frame. When using a stubby seat post the binder bolt was difficult to reach with a typical park 3 way tool. By having it off center you are then able to fully spin this tool without it hitting against the seat. I like designs stepping out from the norm especially if they have a reason!
    Fortunate I'm very mechanically inclined and good with my hands. With that I'm self taught. I did consider taking a class but decided to buy a jig instead feeling pretty confident from my previous projects and years of wrenching on bikes that I could build a frame. I commuted today on it and it still puts a smile on my face knowing its the first one I ever built. Hopefully I'm answering the last one correctly but I tend to lean towards a sloping TT design. I personally like the look of the design and use it a lot but only when It can be used to accommodate the customers contact points. I like seeing 100-110mm length stems, 10mm or less (none is better) of headset spacers, slight offset seat posts and I'm a huge fan of slightly lower BB heights. Aesthetics of a complete bike is an important aspect of my designs and love it when the completed bike fits the rider and can meet my standards mentioned above. So far I have been able to combine aesthetics with ride quality. To me that's custom!
    Thanks, NATE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sneak peak...30th wedding anniversary present.
    IMG_2440 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2442 by Nate Zukas, on FlickrIMG_2444 by Nate Zukas, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a cabinet drawer knob you're using for a dimpler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mosley View Post

Is that a cabinet drawer knob you're using for a dimpler?
    Heck yes! Firmly in the "whatever works" category. I use the top of a pipe wrench (backed up by half a tube block) to make long dimples in chainstays.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john