Thread: Coming to America...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coming to America...

coming-to-america1.jpg

I'm leaving Sydney behind for August/September, a cycling education trip mainly (spending a couple of weeks in Colorado Springs at BBI and then a few weeks with Doug Fattic building frame #1). Either side of this I'm planning for a week on the the west coast, split between San Francisco and Portland, a week in New York and a couple of days in Chicago in the middle.

My tourist habits tend towards exploring cool neighbourhoods rather than hitting the big sights. I seem to end up spending most of my time in art galleries, bike shops, book shops, checking out interesting architecture. My dietry habits are vegan, but I'll drink more or less anything. I stick to the road when riding (and I'm not sure if I will be carrying a bike around, maybe borrowing a Brompton). So, locals, what are your recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coming to America...

Chicago anyway the things you like are somewhat spread out.

Best book store in Chicago is the Co-op which is located in a University of Chicago building in South Side Hyde Park. North Sider myself so do not know much about restaurants and bike stores in the area. I'm not a fan of the predominant UC Gothic architecture, but if you look there is some interesting modern on and around campus.

Established art galleries tend to be concentrated west of Michigan Avenue in what is called the Gold Coast. Near South Side neighborhoods Pilsen and Bridgeview have up and coming artists and galleries. There is great architecture to be found among the bland new money stuff through out the Gold Coast. There are 4 Mies Van Der Rohe residential high rises on Lake Shore Drive just north of Chestnut. Take the underpass to the lakefront area in the afternoon and watch the sunset behind them.

Further north is Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood the home of Cycle Smithy which has a real good collection of racing bikes, curious bikes, vintage to cutting edge components, and a lot of bike stuff you expect in an inner city neighborhood popular with younger people.

Lakeview also has a lot of vegan eating - Kitchen 17 is the most ambitious, Uncommon Ground the best atmosphere, Chicago Diner has been around since the 1970s maintains a bit of that era's hippy vibe. If you are in a hurry there is also the chain vegan Native Foods and Falafill which is not a chain but seems like one.

If you are a Mid-Century modern fan there are some great '50s and early '60s high rises along Marine and Sheridan Ave. between Fullerton and Irving Park Road, including my favorite Mies building in Chicago at Lakeview and Fullerton just west of the lake front parks.

Northwest Logan Square is more music than visual arts, but there are some small funky galleries around. There are two Latino restaurants with vegetarian offerings in the Logan Square area - Quesadilla La Reyna on Western and Irazu on Milwaukee. Boulevard Bike on Kedzie is a great bike shop - my favorite anyway.

Feel free to pm me with questions about things you may see in guides, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three don't-miss "attractions" in NYC -

Grand Central Terminal, saved from the wrecking ball largely through the efforts of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Fantastic indoor space.
    Cathedral Church of St John the Divine - enormous (claimed to be the largest Gothic on Earth), as-yet unfinished, and awe-inspiring. Bring old clothes and a flashlight and sign up for a Saturday "vertical tour."
    B&H Photo - a retail madhouse mob scene unlike any other, even if you have only a passing interest in photography. Meets the definition "unique."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you get to NYC let me know. If you're interested, I can give you passes to the MoMA, or could get you in before the museum opens to the public (and perhaps before the general members-only early hours, depending on the timing of you visit and special admissions days permitted under my membership).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashville, New Orleans and Asheville.. If you don't feel like sticking to the big yams. If your itinerary is set to those larger hubs, you picked good ones.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're into architecture and you're going to Chicago, then you have to go to Oak Park and check out the Frank Lloyd Wright houses there. There are several within easy walking distance of each other, but unless you're super-lucky with the timing, they won't be open for tours.

I'm a vegetarian and the best restaurant meal I've ever had was in the Chicago area. Can't remember the name, which of course doesn't help you, but my GF and I walked into a bookstore, grabbed a Zagat's off the shelf, found something that looked good, and it turned out to be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Chicago anyway the things you like are somewhat spread out.

Best book store in Chicago is the Co-op which is located in a University of Chicago building in South Side Hyde Park. North Sider myself so do not know much about restaurants and bike stores in the area. I'm not a fan of the predominant UC Gothic architecture, but if you look there is some interesting modern on and around campus.

Established art galleries tend to be concentrated west of Michigan Avenue in what is called the Gold Coast. Near South Side neighborhoods Pilsen and Bridgeview have up and coming artists and galleries. There is great architecture to be found among the bland new money stuff through out the Gold Coast. There are 4 Mies Van Der Rohe residential high rises on Lake Shore Drive just north of Chestnut. Take the underpass to the lakefront area in the afternoon and watch the sunset behind them.

Further north is Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood the home of Cycle Smithy which has a real good collection of racing bikes, curious bikes, vintage to cutting edge components, and a lot of bike stuff you expect in an inner city neighborhood popular with younger people.

Lakeview also has a lot of vegan eating - Kitchen 17 is the most ambitious, Uncommon Ground the best atmosphere, Chicago Diner has been around since the 1970s maintains a bit of that era's hippy vibe. If you are in a hurry there is also the chain vegan Native Foods and Falafill which is not a chain but seems like one.

If you are a Mid-Century modern fan there are some great '50s and early '60s high rises along Marine and Sheridan Ave. between Fullerton and Irving Park Road, including my favorite Mies building in Chicago at Lakeview and Fullerton just west of the lake front parks.

Northwest Logan Square is more music than visual arts, but there are some small funky galleries around. There are two Latino restaurants with vegetarian offerings in the Logan Square area - Quesadilla La Reyna on Western and Irazu on Milwaukee. Boulevard Bike on Kedzie is a great bike shop - my favorite anyway.

Feel free to pm me with questions about things you may see in guides, etc.
    Thanks Matthew, that is fantastic. Definitely interested in modernest architecture, so it looks like Chicago is going to be a good couple of days for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Nashville, New Orleans and Asheville.. If you don't feel like sticking to the big yams. If your itinerary is set to those larger hubs, you picked good ones.
    Unfotunately I'm limited - I can only take so much time off work, and a lot of that is in the courses so I only have a relatively small amount of proper tourist/travel time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    When you get to NYC let me know. If you're interested, I can give you passes to the MoMA, or could get you in before the museum opens to the public (and perhaps before the general members-only early hours, depending on the timing of you visit and special admissions days permitted under my membership).

Wow, I think I'll have to take you up on that offer. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I'm a vegetarian and the best restaurant meal I've ever had was in the Chicago area. Can't remember the name, which of course doesn't help you, but my GF and I walked into a bookstore, grabbed a Zagat's off the shelf, found something that looked good, and it turned out to be awesome.
    Zagat rated may have been this: Green Zebra

Not in the greatest riding area, but well worth a taxi ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to PM me when you're nearing the NYC leg. My neighborhood is hip tourist Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you get to Chicago send me a PM and I'll send you my phone# and email. I'll help however I can. There are some great vegan options around my house.