Thread: Frame Jig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frame Jig

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post

I was too late for Hufnagel's equipment, unfortunately. I found out about it from a fellow at work, but by then only the mill was left and it sold before I had the chance to see it. That got me thinking about the used market and how jigs just don't show up very often.
    TBH hufnagels stuff was not that great I've seen a lot better mills/machinery go for less on Portland Craigslist here, but you gotta be an effing Troll they go fast. I bought my horizontal milling machine for $800 and sold the coolant pump it came with for $400.00 if I remember right. It's a nice Nichols mill perfect for the miters. I bought my TIG for $800.00 from a guy in Sellwood my granite table for $80 from a guy in Hillsboro and my bringheli for $1000.00 from Jeff Buchanan on the forums here. Deals are out there but seriously you gotta pull the trigger quick. I missed out on a South Bend Heavy 10 for $700.00 in Spokane last week.

On a side note if you come up with a budget I might take on building you an 8020 jig. I have 2 CNC bed mills and lathes and regular mill.
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Andy

I personally intend to change how Americans buy bicycles
    Good luck with this mission! I would be curious how you plan to do this. Changing generations of spending habits is a tough task. After leaving a job in the firearms/defense industry, I've realized that deep pockets, volume, and innovation are about the only way of staying afloat. It's good to have a plan, but don't be afraid to veer here and there to modify the plan. Keep all doors open.
    Regards,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boedie View Post
    Good luck with this mission! I would be curious how you plan to do this. Changing generations of spending habits is a tough task. After leaving a job in the firearms/defense industry, I've realized that deep pockets, volume, and innovation are about the only way of staying afloat. It's good to have a plan, but don't be afraid to veer here and there to modify the plan. Keep all doors open.
    Regards,
    Chris
    That bus might have already left the depot... Detroit Bikes He's making bikes from the frame up in Detroit while employing some out of work auto industry guys. Bikes retails for $500. I don't think there are many on this forum who would be caught riding one (or maybe I'm wrong) but I applaud the effort and hope he does well. As for "Made in the USA", as I was ripping some wood with my trusty old Skilsaw the other day and pondering how long I had had that power tool I noticed the faded "Made in the USA" sticker on the side of it. Domestic fabrication doesn't necessarily guarantee a better product but when a manufacturer is faced with paying real wages for real products there seems to be a greater emphasis on making something that justifies the extra cost which usually equates to a better product so I hope you figure something out and wish you success. I might know someone with a Henry James jig for sale, the old one with the protractor and fork jig built in. You'll have to get some new blocks made (or make your own) if you want to build anything with non round tubes. It's a solid jig, but the set up is slooooooooooooooooooooow. If you're building in batches it might not be as bad. I'm in Canada though, so shipping won't be cheap, unless you want to pick it up in Vancouver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Detroit Bikes has a 50,000 sqft facility (so says their web site). I wonder what their current production volume is and how cheap industrial prop leases are there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Detroit is the city where you can buy an entire city block for < $50k.

My bro-in-law looked into it about a year ago. Lease is $1-2/sq ft but a 50,000 sq/ft building runs $200-300k.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    PS Where did Hufnagel go?.
    Here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been up on the Boston craigslist for quite a while:

Henry James Bicycle Frame Building Jig

Might be worth contacting the seller. It appears they're willing to ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
    Ill say something once you get out of downtown city wherever in the USA it sure has some amazing locales

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all your suggestions. An observer put me in contact with a gentleman with a jig for sale.

A note on my mission: None of this will happen overnight. I have a long term goal, the patience to stay the course and the GI Bill to live off of while I am learning the trade. It will be neither a hobby nor what puts food on my table, but something in the middle. That's probably a unique position. I have no delusions of grandeur.

Also, to Portlanders: if you are a veteran and an aspiring or struggling framebuilder, and you want to be part of something like Veteran Bicycle Co., I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drtoro View Post
    I saw an anvil 3.1 was posted in the Denver craigslist (not sure who the owner is).
    Not after this afternoon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David. I'm another in Portland. Found the used jig I eventually bought in the google framebuilder group, in a three month old thread with zero responses no less. Sounds like you found one, but for future readers, the google group is another place to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP: You are in Portland!!! Anvil frame jigs come free there with growlers of microbrew! :-)

(good luck in your search)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don Ferris for president.
    you heard it here first

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you for all your suggestions. An observer put me in contact with a gentleman with a jig for sale.

A note on my mission: None of this will happen overnight. I have a long term goal, the patience to stay the course and the GI Bill to live off of while I am learning the trade. It will be neither a hobby nor what puts food on my table, but something in the middle. That's probably a unique position. I have no delusions of grandeur.

Also, to Portlanders: if you are a veteran and an aspiring or struggling framebuilder, and you want to be part of something like Veteran Bicycle Co., I'd be interested in hearing from you.
    David,

If you'd like to speed your learning curve I'd recommend working in the industry first before going out on your own. You will gain valuable insight which will shape how you set up your new business and equipment. This way when equipment comes your way you'll know if it fits your methods or not instead of just buying what comes up first. Working in the industry will also allow you to get the repetitions and techniques before taking the frame start to finish. You will learn faster and amongst peers which will be helpful. I know you didn't ask about this and few will offer this advice but it's a path that works. Good luck with your journey.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    David,

If you'd like to speed your learning curve I'd recommend working in the industry first before going out on your own. You will gain valuable insight which will shape how you set up your new business and equipment. This way when equipment comes your way you'll know if it fits your methods or not instead of just buying what comes up first. Working in the industry will also allow you to get the repetitions and techniques before taking the frame start to finish. You will learn faster and amongst peers which will be helpful. I know you didn't ask about this and few will offer this advice but it's a path that works. Good luck with your journey.
    Agreeing with Curt above. Otherwise, you'll be among the weekend warriors you already know about atmo.
    What are all the weekend warriors who've given up doing with their old jigs?
    And PS - working with a framebuilder is NOT working in the industry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curt's and Richard's advice is much of what i was trying to say way back in post #2. Only, of course, they have said it so much better then i could. Much like the difference between a wannabe and the pros that they are. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123