Thread: Record/Nemesis: New shoes for my stainless Hampsten

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Record/Nemesis: New shoes for my stainless Hampsten

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Who's used both rims and how do they compare for you?
    I have both. My thoughts are posted 4 or 5 posts prior to your question. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion, it is more of a question of a retro aesthetic vs a more modern one. Do like the Alchemy hubs on the Hed wheels.....Spinelli knows what he is talking about for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    IHaven't picked out hubs yet (when will CK do their rear for Campy???) but thinking either 28/28, 32/32 or 28/32.
    Have a close look at the Alchemy ORC for your rear hub. They put in a lot of time and work to create the best drive side flange positioning for a Campy wheel (i.e. you'll get less severe dishing). I have a set of Alchemy hubs (ELF front, ORC rear), 24/28, DT spokes & nipples with 50mm aero carbon tubular rims. Strong, stiff and tough.

While my Nemesis wheels are 32/32, that's only because I already owned 32h f&r Campy hubs. That makes for a very sturdy wheelset, but at 155 to 160 lbs, a bit overkill for me. If I could find Nemesis 28h rims and I were starting with new hubs, I'd go 28/32.

With HED rims, you can go lower spoke count as jsmillerjr mentioned above. Get advice from the builder, based your riding style, weight and expected road surface.

BTW, congrats on your new Ti Hampsten. I've been running my Nemesis wheels with Pave CG tubs on my stainless Hampsten with its relaxed (but still road racing) geometry and it's been a combination from heaven. Best comfort on the road I've ever experienced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poking this one again since it has been nearly half a year. Just finished a set that's shipping out tomorrow. Nemesis w/Record hubs. Standard 32/32 3 cross pattern. Used Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and brass nips. Front wheel 814g, rear wheel 926g, set weight 1740g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, after asking lots of questions in lots of threads on several different boards I now have my Golden Tickets (aka Nemesis) in hand, and my 32-hole White Industry Campy hubs are on their way. I’ve measured the ERD a bazillion times and come up with 617, which correlates to lots of listings other places so it’s good to know Ambrosio is consistent. While I know there are a few other hubs with more optimal flange spacing for Campy than the Whites, I love the polished silver and the shape, and they’ve served me well on Shimano-compatible wheels I’ve had.

I’ve built 8 sets of wheels for myself and others, all for Shimano, 28 or 32 14/15g spokes all around laced 3x. This one is my first with a Campy freehub and would like some help with rear spokes/pattern. Many of the experts here (Dorman and Ergott to name just a few) recommend using a heavier DS spoke to better balance tensions. I’ve also read several places about using 2x NDS, 3x DS to help with the bracing angles. So here’s what I’m thinking for my 200-210 lbs:

Wheelsmith 14/17 front, 3x
    Wheelsmith 14/17 NDS, 2x
    Sapim Race 14/15 DS, 3x

• Is the 14/17-14/15 spoke gauge differential enough to help with the tension balance, or should I consider a Laser-type spoke NDS? Would that be too flexy for me?
    • Do I get enough benefit from a 2x/3x rear pattern to go that way, or should I stick with 3x both sides?
    • OK to use the 14/17 on the front, or should I consider a 14/15?

Really appreciate the collective wisdom of people who build a lot more wheels than I do and who so willingly share their expertise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Wheelsmith 14/17 front, 3x
    Wheelsmith 14/17 NDS, 2x
    Sapim Race 14/15 DS, 3x"

Sounds right on the money to me. I built a bunch of wheels for a masters team who were all 210-ish, with DT spokes all around, but the crossings and gauges were the same. No problems. Although they all spec'd brass nips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I do a fair number like that. With the heavy Nemesis rim you should be fine with the thinner spokes up front and non-drive rear. Mixing up the rear pattern with the 2X/3X design seems to stiffen the wheel as well although the 2X will reduce tension on that side ever so slightly. Not enough to worry about though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got some new Nemesis in this week and thought you would like to know they have changed the laser etching a bit. The Cronos I received at the same time still have the block lettering spaced one letter per spoke hole gap. We will see for how long.

Nemesis new by Dorman Cyclery, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!

Or rather: No.ooo.ooo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh. no. bro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged