Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anything like Alen Edmonds Park Ave?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anything like Alen Edmonds Park Ave?

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I wear suits 4 days per week. So they work for me. (Well, the last is too narrow, but captoe oxfords work for me.) Today I am wearing a navy blazer and light greay wool pants. Naturally, Cody, I am wearing whiskey Cordovan loafers.
    when you raced, did you always try to get #8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you would say even in the brown colors these shoes are still too formal? Like I said I am very new to nice shoes, I was thinking of wearing these with khakis and a grey blazer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    So you would say even in the brown colors these shoes are still too formal? Like I said I am very new to nice shoes, I was thinking of wearing these with khakis and a grey blazer.
    This about as formal a shoe as you can get, outside of something like opera pumps. You'd be much better off with something like the MacNeil (LINK). Search for longwings on eBay, you can get a used pair easily. I'd look for something with open lacing instead of closed, in general. Explanation here.

But there is a wide range of what would work with what your suggesting. I'd also suggest something with a bit more contrast than a grey jacket and khakis (either one or the other navy instead).

But since your just beginning your shoe journey, the best thing might be to just post what AE shoes you like and we can explain why they do and don't work. AE has a full spectrum of stuff now, though lots of it is real gross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a 13D, and I have a bit of a shoe issue. I agree that the Park Ave is a bit formal for your needs. I'm sure I can dig up something nice for trade in bike parts (or just to free up the room in my closet). I'll see what I have. You looking for a dark brown or lighter brown. I'll shoot you a PM later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to pile on, but these are too formal for cotton chinos.

The indubitable Chase made a recommendation here that would be a good fit for your needs. (And if you look just above his post, I'm repping Park Avenues hard. Some things never change.)

Also - and I say this as someone who's wearing khaki chinos as he types this - but step up from khakis if you're going to dress up enough to wear a jacket. You can generally find worsted or even some of the newer microfiber trousers for what you're paying for khakis, and your look will take a huge leap forward. There are exceptions to every rule, but there's almost always a better choice than khaki chinos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Not to pile on, but these are too formal for cotton chinos.

The indubitable Chase made a recommendation here that would be a good fit for your needs. (And if you look just above his post, I'm repping Park Avenues hard. Some things never change.)

Also - and I say this as someone who's wearing khaki chinos as he types this - but step up from khakis if you're going to dress up enough to wear a jacket. You can generally find worsted or even some of the newer microfiber trousers for what you're paying for khakis, and your look will take a huge leap forward. There are exceptions to every rule, but there's almost always a better choice than khaki chinos.
    Don't wear microfiber pants. Wool. Cotton. Period. I enjoy Ben's posts a lot...but I'm tellin ya'.....no micro-motherfuggin'-fiber pants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    Don't wear microfiber pants. Wool. Cotton. Period. I enjoy Ben's posts a lot...but I'm tellin ya'.....no micro-motherfuggin'-fiber pants.
    Microfiber is for cleaning IPhones, not wearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the medium brown color shoes, would something like this still be too formal?

Mens Cole Haan Leather Air Adams DK Brown Save 50 Off MSRP This Is A Deal | eBay

I am not partial to the brogueing look yet. I generally prefer a fairly clean look to my shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    I knew I'd catch some shit for that remark.
    Eh, you're right, I'm sure. But (a) I live in the south where it gets muggy, and (b) when you practice law you eventually start to look at "dress" clothes the same way a farmer looks at coveralls - just something you throw on to cover your pink parts, and the lower maintenance the better. So I've got some tan flat-front "golf" pants that look decent, drape well, don't get hot, don't itch like wool, don't require much care, hold a crease, pass for "dress" pants, and if I trash them walking a piece of property or carrying a box of documents, I don't care. Are they nice? No. Are they nicer than khakis? Yes. If chase can wear rubber-soled dress shoes in the name of practicality, I'm wearin' my shitty polyester pants, thankyouverymuch.

wrench, yes, IMO, those are too formal for knakis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    I prefer the medium brown color shoes, would something like this still be too formal?

Mens Cole Haan Leather Air Adams DK Brown Save 50 Off MSRP This Is A Deal | eBay

I am not partial to the brogueing look yet. I generally prefer a fairly clean look to my shoes.

It's the shape/style that makes them formal more than the color.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12