garro you look like your dad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Venison

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I guess when i read this, it came off a little 'holier than thou." I dont feel the need to explain, but i will. This seems to be a good thread, with some who know, and some who want to know, and some, somewhere in the middle.

You are right, no one eats the marrow from a deer. I say no one, and i think i mean that. You never see a t-bone from a deer. Reason being, you are right, the marrow is pretty nasty. However, sometimes if you are really into getting the most out of a deer, cutting thru bone is proper and necessary.. Like Garro said, i do not want a foot on my ham. I personally like the shank, if cooked proper, i do not think there is any better...
    you are big in my book dude.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that shank meat wouldn't be awsome. It's never made bad burger, i make tacos and spaghetti sauce and stuff out of it all the time and it's never been anything but sweet. I guess i just never considered saving it out and cooking it whole before, maybe next year.

later,
    jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venison, sweet potatoes, mushrooms on hand led to this one:
    Venison and Sweet Potato Stew | Tasty Kitchen: A Happy Recipe Community!

Added carrots and celery. Browned the venison on stove but made it in the slow cooker. Smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    garro you look like your dad.
    No denying it.
    That Salmon pic was from the Willamette!
    Round 1970 I reckon - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess when i read this, it came off a little 'holier than thou." I dont feel the need to explain, but i will. This seems to be a good thread, with some who know, and some who want to know, and some, somewhere in the middle.

You are right, no one eats the marrow from a deer. I say no one, and i think i mean that. You never see a t-bone from a deer. Reason being, you are right, the marrow is pretty nasty. However, sometimes if you are really into getting the most out of a deer, cutting thru bone is proper and necessary.. Like Garro said, i do not want a foot on my ham. I personally like the shank, if cooked proper, i do not think there is any better...
    the last thing I am is holy.
    that's why I signed off 'respectfully' - I meant it.
    whatever... no biggie.
    carry on.
    no

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish i would have seen this last night.. I stared into the cupboard and the refrigerator, trying to figure out the best way to marry sweet potatoes and deer. Had i seen this, i would have made it. sounds delicious, next time.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Venison, sweet potatoes, mushrooms on hand led to this one:
    Venison and Sweet Potato Stew | Tasty Kitchen: A Happy Recipe Community!

Added carrots and celery. Browned the venison on stove but made it in the slow cooker. Smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish i would have seen this last night.. I stared into the cupboard and the refrigerator, trying to figure out the best way to marry sweet potatoes and deer. Had i seen this, i would have made it. sounds delicious, next time.
    It's a bit more souplike than stew.
    May add some root veggies in it on the next round.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually end up with some venison each year from friends or family, and usually I just stew it. I've got a really good recipe at home with apples and winter squash that I'll type up sometime this week for you. Also, my sister makes venison chocolate chip cookies with some ground meat. They are crazy good... I'm not sure what meet to dough ratio is... but I imagine her recipe is to just make cookie dough like normal.. and stir in some ground meat till it looks right. I'll see if I can't get a solid recipe from her, but otherwise I would just suggest experimenting. Sounds crazy... but crazy in a good way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep the meat as cold as your hands can stand. As close to freezing as possible. When the meat gets warm removing silver skin is like removing snot. But you probably already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Good stuff here. I'm still working on getting another deer before archery season is over. Been enjoying the venison from the first one. Skinned in the garage and an afternoon of silver skin trimming. Any speedy way of accomplishing that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I am going with a ground venison-shepards pie tonight.. I am excited to check the results, but, i am torn. As i looked in the pantry, and thought about SpeedyChix post, i almost went with mashed sweet potatoes on top of the shepards pie..

What thinks ye'. Standard pie with mashed sweet potatoes on top? I may have to go all in this weekend, if this turns out like i hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overdue for another recipe. Adding to the venison thread. Next time back to the healthy eats thread.

Venison Meatloaf
    Mmm…smelling some baking right now.

2# Ground Venison
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 eggs
    1 cup bread crumbs

1/4 cup Worcestershire
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leafs (1 teaspoon if dried)
    1/2 head chopped garlic
    1 large onion
    2 large carrots, diced into ¼ inch squares
    1 cup caned tomatoes, diced and seeded (or fresh tomatoes)
    a few dashes of Tabasco

Salt and Pepper to taste

Thick-sliced smoked bacon.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute the onion, garlic and carrots a bit. Mix all the ingredients together, except the bacon, in a large mixing bowl. Set aside. You can make this in a bread loaf pan but it steams rather than bakes. Do it more free form on a baking rack. Lets any grease drip clear and it bakes nicer. Either way, the wrap of good thick-sliced bacon puts this over the top.

Bake in the oven at 350 until the internal temperature reaches 135-140 degrees. Pull from oven and let rest for five minutes to rest. Heat will finish coming up and it's good to go.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot this: a bit of hot sauce is a nice addition to this.
    To brown up bacon at end, about 3-4 min under the broiler takes care of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, i've missed so much.

I got two does this year. Boned/Butchered them completely without gutting*. Not how i used to do it, but i could get used to the method. Especially when it's not down the the wire. I got my second one on the second to last day before end of season, nearing dark.

I grind most of mine. Avoid ever the fat. You can save it and render it into tallow like i do for patch lube and leather dressing and soap making. It's nice and scent free then.

Also i water-soak/age mine before packing up to freeze. This takes dang near almost all of the randiness out of rutting bucks. I soak does and all now.

I eat at least one tenderloin (the only thing i don't soak) before 24 hours pass the taking of the deer. Usually with biscuits and gravy-sliced and "chicken fried", salt and pepper (nothing more necessary, but suit yerseff). Morning, noon, night-no matter it's a great meal.

Some guys are pressure cooking the ribs and canning or freezing that meat. Great reports, less waste, but I haven't tried any yet.

As to my ground-I just use it like ground beef without fat. I never buy ground meat at a store. You just cannot forget that it converts to jerky/shoe leather if you don't respect the low-fatness of it. Pink is okay (mandatory really). It's not a factory farm animal where virulent strains of everything persist, so you can "take some chances" here.

oh also, i picked up a meat/bone saw at a junk store last year for 3 bucks. A SAWZALL is dandy with the demolition blade. Cordless--whoohoo! That is if you're cutting it up. I only used my skinning knife this year.

*The "Harris Gutless Deer Butchering" technique:

Last edited by WadePatton; 02-03-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123