Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sausage Making Resources?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sausage Making Resources?

rowdyhillrambler, Algood, TN, general mail. Do not forget your dear old buddy, my feeling would be hurt. A couple of pounds will do, xxoooxxoxo rowdy

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Attachment 49147

This is what we use. We make many many pounds of Italian sausage every Christmas. We will be making our Christmas sausage this Sunday. It is a family affair. My Dad and Uncles made it when we were younger. Now my brother, bro-in-law and myself help Dad make the sausage. Recipe is a family recipe. We have carried on the tradition. I figure we will prep and produce at least 50 lbs this weekend, probably more. We all get some. We freeze it and it usually lasts everyone most of the year. Part I hate, cleaning up. Part of the deal tho. If I have a chance, I will take some pics this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies

We have ordered a lot of stuff thru them. The catalog is worth getting, just as a resource.
    They have natural casings, which i like, but require cleaning. But, they also have beef collagen casings. They are less time consuming, but i don't like them as well. If you are making your own sausage, i assume you dont mind the extra hassle. Go whole hog! (see what i did there?)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    That's all I recall is the old metal ones.
    Man, I may have to make some sausages, been so long.
    What are you all using for casings?
    - Garro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you plan on doing it year after year You'll need a good meat grinder, and a good stuffer. Your venision should be free of silver skin as it will clog up the grinders face plate which involves removing and clening it (a PITA but it happens) and as mentioned before you'll want to add pork fat. After that it's a matter of getting the receipes for the type of sausage you want to make ,mixing up the secret herbs and spices(which are not cheap), stuffing it into the casing of your choice and smoking it (no bong or papers required) which is a topic in itself. You'll also need a quart of whiskey and plenty of beer to aid in the process. If you just want to try it I'd say with 25 lbs of venison take it else where and spend the money you'd save on a quart of whiskey and some beer and if you don't like whiskey or beer buy it anyhow and send it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no idea either.

i did pop into jamie olivers dads pub... they polish the pipes to the flush mechanism on the shitter...

and ordered something called a, well i dont know what it was. bad traders lunch i guess.

sausage on some mash. took bloody ages. tasted good. they told me they made it there and then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We make our super secret recipe Italian sausage a couple of weeks prior to Christmas. Typically we make about 125 lbs. It's a blend of pork and beef, plus seasonings. My buddy uses his family recipe, I use mine, and a 3rd "experiments" every year. My recipe was taught to me by my Nonni, so it's only once removed from Piana dei Greci, just outside of Palermo. Usually by the time we finish, we've had 4-5 bottles of vino, and are ready for bed. We've been doing this for at least 30 years, and now our sons are there to help and learn. It's a great tradition. I had some last night after it had cooked for about 5 hours in my "suca"...
    Now I could tell you the recipe, but then I've have to...oh well never mind

Zio Franco
    Il vero lusso è il tempo da dedicare alle proprie passioni.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like my Zio above, we have been making our family Christmas sausage for years. Grinder and stuffer belonged to my Father's Father. Our recipe is a family recipe we have been using for generations. I think my Mom has the original recipe note card. We made this batch last weekend. 100 lbs beef and pork. 1/2 hank or about 50 yards of casing (pig intestine). Onion, celery, parsley, green onion. Secret seasoning.

Attachment 49574

Attachment 49575

Attachment 49576

Attachment 49577

Attachment 49578

Attachment 49579

Attachment 49580

Attachment 49581

Attachment 49582

Attachment 49583
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you guys using any Instacure in your sausages? Hank Shaw seems to indicate that it's optional, and as far as I can tell it's a preservative. Unless I'm missing something, I'm planning to leave it out. Correct me if I'm doing something stupid, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After most of a day, I managed to produce my first batch. Two batches, actually.

One batch was two pounds done with a dry mix from the grocery store. It was so-so, a little salty.

The other was Hank Shaw's recipe for sage and porcini mushroom sausage: How to Make Venison Sausages - Venison Sausage Recipe | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. I'd do that one again, for sure.

Thanks for the help along the way, guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12