Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pruning Espalier Apple Trees

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pruning Espalier Apple Trees

Completely random, I know. I've got three espaliered apple trees that I planted two Springs ago. Not exactly sure of the age but they're mature enough to bear fruit and have a decent shape on the trellis. I did a hard "architectural" pruning in the dormant season but having avoiding pruning over the Summer months because of conflicting advice from books and the interwebs--- some recommend just pruning during the dormant season; others advise to constantly keep shoots to trimmed (a la bonsai). My trees look a bit over grown these days. So, do I cut now or later? Keep up the pruning over the Summer months or just stick to the dormant season. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pruning Espalier Apple Trees

always err on the side of avoiding pruning during the season.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

prune once the leaves are off. better for the tree, and that way you can make better judgments about what goes and what stays. for whatever reason, the one i've been working on that grows up the side of our barn has been going crazy this year. needs a haircut, big time, but i'll wait until halloween to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good professional arborist advice is free at arboristsite.com. Yes i'm a member, no i'm not a pro-arborist, but am pruning on some &^%$ford Pear "trees" right now.

And what you said, advice is conflicting-I found two distinct lines of thought at the arborist site* (wrt that particular species) but that narrowed things down and was well-seasoned and actual words from folks who work in the field rather than the theory/books.

*grammar and such may throw you off as i even found "Pear" spelled three ways there. No guano, but i don't go there to appreciate splendid prose (as one might BSNYC). And I really go there for the chainsaw maniac in me. and logging/milling discussion.

Hey FWIW gardening/fruit/etc production may as well be a function of this VS section. Good Job, Fine Bidness, etc.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh so THAT's what those are. In a small town just north of my S.France camp there are a considerable number of growers. Neat, when I was picking apples on the kibbutz it sure would have been nice to not use the goofy ladders and get scratched up reaching in.

Mom planted Fujis and a couple of weird dwarfs. The "rule" at our house was to never cut branches until after the first frost, than we'd go nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up just pruning some suckers and a few longer branches on the bottom but otherwise am going let it be until things cool off in CT. Maybe I'll try pruning twice in Spring next year to better keep things looking tighter later in the season? I agree completely concur on topics--- this board needs more cultivation discussion (and photos). I'll post some photos of my broccoli rabe tomorrow :) And let me know if anyone knows where to score a vintage Collins or Kelly Ave on cheap for resto (perhaps another board topic).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I harvested my one and only apple today--- I had to brag. I had eight earlier in the year but squirrels and my clumsy attempts at brown bagging claimed the remainder.
    Attached Images Attached Images