Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 22 of 354 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I would also recommend a Volvo wagon over a Legacy GT of same year. The LGT is the heaviest of all Subarus which shares the same wheel bearings and suspension as the smaller Impreza. The 5 speed manual is made of glass and overtaxed in moving a family-filled wagon. The turbos had/have oiling problems due to a small screen filter on the variable cam timing system and are prone to failure. Owners run the oil low on a very frequent basis and engine failure isn't uncommon.

Buying a used one is a roll of the dice unless you have big rebuild plans.

In my opinion the GC8 Impreza is a little small for a family car. (especially a coupe)

Another solid car is a BMW E34 wagon. Those can be had for 10k or a little more. I just found some E39 Wagons on ebay for 10k buy it now. Those are often overlooked. Another thing to check into is parts cost. I've owned most of the cars that people are talking about on this thread. BMW/Mercedes parts are often less expensive than Subaru parts. They are surely less expensive than Mitsubishi Evo parts. The BMW and Merc engines are widely used and for long product runs which makes the availability good and the cost low on replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread caused me to waste a couple hours at work today.

Don't really regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3yr olds approve.

"bring blue race car back home da da"

Can't say no to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic, but extremely enjoyable.

I have a customer who just got a new 458 Sypder. He stopped by after hours the other day while I was there to chat for a bit. As we were both leaving, I ask him how the new car is and with a response of great he tosses me the keys and says let go for a ride. And hour later and about a half tank less, my smile lasts for a day.

F'in awesome! It would make the angriest person smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gender specific. Angry man will smile. Angry women , not a chance. Probably just get more pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post

I have a customer who just got a new 458 Sypder. He stopped by after hours the other day while I was there to chat for a bit. As we were both leaving, I ask him how the new car is and with a response of great he tosses me the keys and says let go for a ride. And hour later and about a half tank less, my smile lasts for a day.

F'in awesome! It would make the angriest person smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post

I have a customer who just got a new 458 Sypder. He stopped by after hours the other day while I was there to chat for a bit. As we were both leaving, I ask him how the new car is and with a response of great he tosses me the keys and says let go for a ride. And hour later and about a half tank less, my smile lasts for a day..

That is a super cool story. There are two types of dudes in this world ones who will throw you the keys and ones who will tell you to get your grubby hands off their ride. I'm sure this is something you'll always remember. Super awesome of the owner to do this two giant thumbs up!
    F'in awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this earlier in the week, and it was a good reality check on my semi-sane idea of running a classic car as an only car:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Saw this earlier in the week, and it was a good reality check on my semi-sane idea of running a classic car as an only car:

Those guys are great. Very much agree with their take on it. When I rebuilt my 51 chevy pickup it was never babied and immed. got a class IV hitch and was my only vehicle for 9 years. Queen would loan me her volvo wagon when I took road trips. I changed it to 12V and solid state ignition, otherwise it is bone stock.

Car shows are stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    When I rebuilt my 51 chevy pickup it was never babied and immed. got a class IV hitch and was my only vehicle for 9 years.
    That's great. any pictures??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, i am desperately trying to stop myself from buying this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volvos don't wear out, you get tired of owning them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volvos don't wear out, you get tired of owning them.
    exactly. the only think i would worry about is the availability of parts for something this obscure. i really want to pick up a project car to fool around with on the weekends, something cool. this volvo is calling my name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Not too many of those left. Tell me where it is and I'll buy it out from under you, deal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

How much are they asking for the project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those guys are great. Very much agree with their take on it. When I rebuilt my 51 chevy pickup it was never babied and immed. got a class IV hitch and was my only vehicle for 9 years. Queen would loan me her volvo wagon when I took road trips. I changed it to 12V and solid state ignition, otherwise it is bone stock.

Car shows are stupid.
    I think I've come to the same realization when it comes to classic cars. I'd love to think that they are the _exact_ same thing as a modern machine, but they just aren't unless you are really prepared to replace/refurb everything.

I keep looking at MGB GTs and fantasize about using that as my only, since I'm not driving much at the moment. Not much at all in the city, really. The problem is that when I drive, it's long distance. Going from DC to TN is NBD in the Subaru, but might be a big deal in an MG unless I was really confident in it. And with where I'm at space wise (one assigned parking spot, no garage) and with a very new Subaru, it don't know if it makes sense right now.

I keep toying with the idea of selling the Sub, buying one of those $4K volvos, then getting an MG, but realize I might be going from one care-free car to two piles of trouble. There are other options, like having just an MG, using Zipcar for short trips if need be, and possibly renting a car for the one holiday pilgrimage I need to make to TN, but I'm not sure what that rental would cost at a peak time like Christmas (likely need to drive due to my dogs).

I can't really tell if selling my nice newish car for a classic is an insane idea or not. Thoughts from the Salon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you have a spot to keep one of the old cars stashed on a set of jack stands, keep the one good new car and wait on the old ones. Old cars have stuff that tends to fail at inopportune times and sometimes you need to wait for parts, and by wait I mean wait for shipping or wait until you can find the one thing that you may need to drop out of the used market somewhere.

An MG of any kind just sounds like an exercise in masochism.

PS - rental car companies are notorious for charging excessive cleaning fees for cars with a lot of dog hair/smell in them. Keep that thought in your calculation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my take is that daily driving a classic car is only really feasible if you do a full restoration, and know the car inside and out. by full restoration, i mean full. having another car to drive, even if its the spouse/girlfriends car is invaluable when the inevitable break down occurs, to go get parts, etc. an obscure older car like the volvo or worse, MG is going to be tough to get parts quick, for sure. without a garage to keep some spare parts on hand, and do work when it comes up, it's probably a crazy idea, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went out mountain biking last evening. Chick at the trailhead was rocking a gorgeous manual 245 wagon. Had a hard time not asking her if she would sell it...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    How much are they asking for the project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's a runner or easily made a runner, very tempting....Could be a fun toy.