Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wood pellet fired grills

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wood pellet fired grills

I use Weber gas and charcoal kettles, but recently was looking at these wood pellet fired grills

BBQ Grills & Smokers - Traeger Wood Pellet Grills

No flare ups, precise temperature control, up to 20 hours of. Urn on low heat with a full pellet hopper, etc.

Very intrigued by these things.

Anyone have something similar, used one, etc?

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wood pellet fired grills

I've seen it demoed (very clean burning) and eaten the results (delicious!). Was sold enough to get the pellets and experiment. IMO they impart a very clean, woody flavor without any nasty overtones. The system is cool, but just a light sprinkling on briquets with a closed lid will get you very good results.

Done pork butt on a big Weber for 10 hrs. with it, 45 min. quick smoked tri-tip.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    I've seen it demoed (very clean burning) and eaten the results (delicious!). Was sold enough to get the pellets and experiment. IMO they impart a very clean, woody flavor without any nasty overtones. The system is cool, but just a light sprinkling on briquets with a closed lid will get you very good results.

Done pork butt on a big Weber for 10 hrs. with it, 45 min. quick smoked tri-tip.
    So I write all this for you...then get called the most insulting poster around.

Very. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I write all this for you...then get called the most insulting poster around.

Very. Interesting.
    sure, but you ain't on my "ignore" list.

pellets? not here. too much real wood going to rot, i don't even use charcoal any more (at all-i used to use it to start real wood). but at some point i may experiment with a partitioned box for briquets to extend burn times in my conventional smoker. but that won't happen on my current tack which involves burning wood in holes in the ground.

i have seen a pellet-fired heater. i suppose it makes more sense deep in the concrete jungle and suburbia. be glad to box up some "flavor wood" for postage and money or schwag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    sure, but you ain't on my "ignore" list.

pellets? not here. too much real wood going to rot, i don't even use charcoal any more (at all-i used to use it to start real wood). but at some point i may experiment with a partitioned box for briquets to extend burn times in my conventional smoker. but that won't happen on my current tack which involves burning wood in holes in the ground.

i have seen a pellet-fired heater. i suppose it makes more sense deep in the concrete jungle and suburbia. be glad to box up some "flavor wood" for postage and money or schwag.
    Dude I was talking to TMB, duh. Did you call me the most insulting person around too? I'll have to remember that next time you like my posts, you galoot.

We don't have nice, cheap hardwood around here; everything is frou frou so pellets they is. They burn a lot cleaner and it's really hard to over-smoke your meat but it ain't the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't call you nothing. i'm not going to do that.

you like it too much.

the guy i ignored was abrasive beyond his "language barrier". suspect he has dampness lingering behind his ears too.

hey i got a pal...a true friend, BUT i'd cover 3:1 odds he could fuck up a pelletwood cook.

i just scored some wire for wrapping some "mini pit" cooking. what was the querstion?

Dude I was talking to TMB, duh. Did you call me the most insulting person around too? I'll have to remember that next time you like my posts, you galoot.

We don't have nice, cheap hardwood around here; everything is frou frou so pellets they is. They burn a lot cleaner and it's really hard to over-smoke your meat but it ain't the same.

did you say frou frou? mojo sums up my feelings wrt such eh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    i didn't call you nothing. i'm not going to do that.

you like it too much.

the guy i ignored was abrasive beyond his "language barrier". suspect he has dampness lingering behind his ears too.

hey i got a pal...a true friend, BUT i'd cover 3:1 odds he could fuck up a pelletwood cook.

i just scored some wire for wrapping some "mini pit" cooking. what was the querstion?

did you say frou frou? mojo sums up my feelings wrt such eh:

Not bad faux blues, not bad at all. Think I'll throw on some Screamin' Jay now...

WP, Backwood Gentleman. Wuz runnin @ a 15% slow smoke on that guy while prepping din-din. He ain't seen the bonfire yet.

Did a 20lb. pork shoulder brined for 5 days on a 12hr. smoke; prob is getting enough surface area exposed and flavor penetration with of any sort of marinade. Was worried the brine would interfere with the meat-melting, but NO! Anyhoo that's how us land-poor Californians roll.

Even our pigs wear Givenchy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mojo was more about irreverence than the blues. (see Stuffin Martha's* Muffin, Tie My Pecker to My Leg, Elvis is Everywhere, Burn Down the Malls, etc.)

*The original Martha (Martha Quinn) before the "homemaker" made her empire.

have a pit to go check, made a fire in it last night just to dry out the heavy clay soil next door. but it's 2 miles from here out away from this bustling backroad.

land poorness: (seeing LA from the air, showed me 10,000 acres of this)