Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In need of a suit: Washington D.C. area

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In need of a suit: Washington D.C. area

VS, I am in need of a suit. I have a budget of $500-700. Figured this was the place to ask.

I'm coming off of a lousy experience with a semi custom made suit that fit horribly. At 6'7'' I've had a rough time getting formal clothing that fits well. I own exactly one jacket and one pair of pants that I think fit well and avoid the Lurchy tall guy look and have a few other pieces of clothing that come close. Chase's OP here: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ler-19954.html has become my mantra.

Here's what I'm looking for. Someone in the D.C. area. I'd love to try the MY Suit NY guys discussed here but I don't know that I'm going have time to get up to NYC. It would also have to be ready prior to August 25th. I implore you, make me look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: In need of a suit: Washington D.C. area

Unfortunately Filene's Basement is no more. Otherwise I would have suggested hitting the Dupont, Metro Center, and Bethesda/Tenleytown whatever it is locations to find the best offering amongst them.

What's left of the name brand discount stores? Is there a Nordstrom Rack or a Saks Off 5th at either Potomac Mills or Arundel Mills? Hit a few of those and get recommendations on a good tailor. Budget another $100'ish for tailoring, maybe a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a long shot but email Vijay at OM Custom Tailors Mens Ladies Bespoke Hong Kong Tailor and see if he is making a swing down the East Coast anytime soon.
    He normally comes to the US twice a year, measures you up, and makes the clothes back in the Far East. Maybe that's verboten on a custom bike forum, but he is good people and the price is right in your range.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks EB and robin3mj. Just emailed Vijay and have plans to visit Potomac mills (ugh, hate going there but gotta respect the Rack).

Any suggestions for a tailor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potomac Mills is likely your best bet. The Rack seems to have the best stuff nowadays, since Filene's is gone. Gonna be hard with your height, I bet, but I think you already knew that.

Elegant Rochees is in Alexandria, but I've only had alterations done. They turned out ok, not great, but ok. Not sure if it would be better or worse if you had them make you a suit. I've seen some good reviews.

I can't find it right now, but there was one guy who seemed like the go-to guy when I did this search a while back. I _think_ he was in Burke, but I can see to find it right now. I'll look some more tonight and see if I can find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if you're still looking, but Nordstrom's is having their men's sale. I swung through tonight and there were some pretty nice markdowns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Not sure if you're still looking, but Nordstrom's is having their men's sale. I swung through tonight and there were some pretty nice markdowns.
    I did look at Nordstroms, but had no luck. Ended up with a fantastic fitting Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald Golden Fleece for something like 50% off durring their father's day sale.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    I did look at Nordstroms, but had no luck. Ended up with a fantastic fitting Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald Golden Fleece for something like 50% off durring their father's day sale.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I did not suggest that for fear of upselling BB!!! Congratulations, great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I did not suggest that for fear of upselling BB!!! Congratulations, great choice.
    Next time do it!

The budget expanded without much fuss as they had the style, size, color, fit I needed. Would have preferred a double vent out of pure desire to go Euro - my only complaint.