That's the story of my life. Sigh.

Hey thanks Jon, depressing yet sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who said Surgeons don't have a sense of humor

Maine Mike alert! Watch what you post or you may be forced to resign as our resident poster of all things weird.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A favorite surgeon humor story:

Out for an amazing ride with a friend of ours. She's on her brand new Cervelo P3, very proud of it, not quite used to its handling. Somewhere in Bernardsville, takes a bad edge on a bit of asphalt and goes down hard and fast, no time to react, and her face breaks the fall. Facial lacerations, but in the end she's fine, and has only a couple of hairline scars to show for it.

In the ER, I stood opposite the plastic surgeon on duty as he commenced to stitch her face back together, partly in an attempt to man-up and overcome my squeamishness. Meanwhile, the doc is explaining that he was now over 20 hours into his shift. Great. Our friend is finishing up some post-bach classes in pre-med, studying for the MCAT, and at this point is pretty whacked out on pain meds. As the surgeon is threading a needle through her face, she asks:

Friend: "So, I want to be a doctor. What made you decide to specialize in plastic surgery?"

Surgeon: "Regular doctors? They eat meat with potatoes. Plastic surgeons? Sometimes we drink martinis."

He went on during the course of the procedure to describe to us his collection of Porches, his loft in Tribeca, and his mansion in Berkeley Heights. Also adding to the mystique of this individual was he very much seemed to be of Latin heritage in appearance and in accent, yet he had a very much eastern bloc-sounding last name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The imbroglio is interesting, but the science from the article is even more interesting IMO:

"There is growing evidence that human semen has the potential to produce profound effects on women. We have replicated the effects showing female college students having sex without condoms are less depressed as measured by objective scores on the Beck Depression Inventory. We've also examined the data as a function of whether the students were using hormonal contraceptives, whether they were in committed relationships, and how long these relationships have lasted. The anti-depressant properties of semen exposure do not vary as function of any of these conditions. It is not a question of whether females are sexually active, since students having sex with condoms show the same level of depression as those who are not having sex at all. We have also received numerous semen testimonials from other women who attest to the anti-depressant effects of semen exposure and these accounts often include the use of control trials (i.e., comparisons generated by switching from condoms to unprotected sex, or vice a versa).
    Only 5 percent of the ejaculate is sperm. What's left is seminal plasma, which is a rich concoction of chemicals, including many that have the potential to produce mood-altering effects derived from hormones, neurotransmitters, and endorphins. There are even female sex hormones in male semen. Within a hour or two after insemination, you can detect heightened levels of many of these seminal chemicals in a woman's bloodstream."

Its a shame Greenfield resigned. He seemed like a smart dude with a funny side.
    "The editorial was a review of what I thought was some fascinating new findings related to semen, and the way in which nature is trying to promote a stronger bond between men and women. It impressed me. It seemed as though it was a gift from nature. And so that was the reason for my lighthearted comments."

I wonder who the " outside women's groups" were?
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!