User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Want to make my own stem - where to buy top cap & expander for 1" quill stems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Want to make my own stem - where to buy top cap & expander for 1" quill stems?

For my next frame, I'm thinking of also making my own stem. I'm a 1" threaded guy, so I'm looking for a source for a top cap, expander bolt, and wedge, sort of like is used in the older Salsa Pro-Moto stems:

I realize that it's likely that Salsa had these made for them, but does anyone know if these components are available individually?

Thanks,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Want to make my own stem - where to buy top cap & expander for 1" quill stems?

QBP used to carry the Salsa fittings, up until a few years ago. Before that, Nova used to sell stem kits.
    Since both of those sources dried up, I've been sourcing bolts locally, and making the top cap and wedge expander on the lathe.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Want to make my own stem - where to buy top cap & expander for 1" quill stems?

The bolts and wedges are still available wholesale from QBP and J&B. The top caps I have not seen in the wholesalers catalogs in many years. Any decent LBS should be able to get the expander bolt and wedges for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rellis View Post
    The bolts and wedges are still available wholesale from QBP and J&B. The top caps I have not seen in the wholesalers catalogs in many years. Any decent LBS should be able to get the expander bolt and wedges for you.

Ah, I should have been more specific. As far as I can tell, QBP only has the bolt/wedge pair for the super high rise Technomic (M8 x 230mm). Not really any use in a custom stem since it'd look pretty silly. 130mm - 160mm is more suited for a custom, depending on the application.

Good point about the wedge nuts from J&B. When QBP dropped the Salsa top caps that they had been carrying and I had to start making my own, I just figured I'd make the wedges too, since they dropped those soon after. They're not difficult to make but for a few bucks from J&B it'd still be a nice time saver. I'll definitely pick up a few of those, thanks.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannibalize them from cheap swap-meet / ebay stems ??
    Last edited by Scheisserad61; 03-25-2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: speling eror