Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NAHMBS 2011 Wrap Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NAHMBS 2011 Wrap Up

Guys, it sure was great to meet so many of you in Austin. I had a great time and was very impressed with a lot of the stuff I saw.

Glenn/Wade/Jeff, thanks for letting me hang out and drink some quality beer with you three. I know we'll do it again soon enough.

Tony, I really enjoyed meeting you and your father and your paint really looks great. It's as good or better than anything else I've seen.

Carl, great to meet you as well and even if though the steel frame was what I was focused on, the "silly carbon" frame sure was nice too. Congrats on Best Carbon.

Sean, the internal routing for the hydraulic on your frame was really cool. I've been wanting to do that for some time and just haven't gotten around to it--maybe never will, but it looks great and really makes me want to try.

Drew, that green bike was slick. As I said to you at the show, I've always been very inspired by they quality of your work and one of these days I'd sure like to do something with KVA tubing. Also, on my list.

DaveB, I don't know if Rosene is on here or not, but man, that kid does nice work and I know you have a lot to do with that. He couldn't say enough nice things about you.

Zank, great seeing the rings and talking with you as well... And, your bikes sure looked great!

Dornbox--beautiful. I certainly would have pegged that for a winning bike (had Rosene just not showed up). Also, thanks for the info on the brazing stuff. Wade hooked me up with samples at the show. It's great to see such beautiful work by a new builder.

Wade, thanks for the samples! I'm looking forward to working with it.

Rody, great talking to you face to face finally!

Don, the Goofy Foot looks great. I hope I didn't mess it up too much with my grubby paws before you delivered it. I'd sure like to have one of those in the future.

Mr. Walker. Your vision for creating that show should be commended. I had a great time and I suppose we have you to thank directly.

Finally, Richard, it was great to meet you. I appreciate your contribution to the community and actually creating this community. And I tried to talk about some of the things I saw at the show to keep this thread semi on-topic but I won't be offended if it gets moved.

I'm sure I left some folks out but I was so excited to finally meet so many of the folks that I've been talking with for so long that I barely even looked at any bikes. I'm just glad I was there on Friday because it was just so crowded on Saturday.
    Last edited by PCW; 03-04-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NAHMBS 2011 Wrap Up

Good on you! This is what I'm talking about, spreading the love and there's a lot of it to be spread. There is so much that's good & right about the show that we shouldn't be led to believe otherwise.

Business is business and I applaud folks taking on the business aspects of the show because it requires real, honest, & thoughtful consideration, but lets not forget what a great time we all had at the table that Don Walker & Co. set for us.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Don Walker did a helluva fucking job! Thanks.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    I think Don Walker did a helluva fucking job! Thanks.
    Me Too! thanks Don, you're the bomb. Great seeing everyone and I had an awesome show. I'm looking forward to next year.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one had a great time. I was glad to put faces on names (and psuedonyms) from many years past. Hell, I even sold a bike, that's cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    Hell, I even sold a bike, that's cool.
    That's awesome. I hope you didn't give a nambla discount.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on, PCW. It was a great show, and I've never been around a happier group of people in my life. It's not in my nature to be a super extroverted, outgoing person, so I signed up to volunteer at the show, in a position that would ensure I'd have to meet pretty much every builder - and I'm glad I did. Everyone was just so... nice! Thanks for doing this, Don, and thanks to all of you for coming and sharing your time and knowledge!

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its threads like this that keep me going. Its refreshing when I don't have to read a thread or blog and feel a little crawling under a rock. (Thanks Bikesnob!)

Thanks for all your support, Yo!

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    That's awesome. I hope you didn't give a nambla discount.
    Oh, and Edoz, we don't use that phrase. EVER. Thanks yo.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    Oh, and Edoz, we don't use that phrase. EVER. Thanks yo.

DW
    Sorry man, I guess I should explain the inside joke.
    When Wade was a child he loved movies. He would watch stuff like The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, and act them out in his room. Eventually, this behavior sparked the desire to get into film. He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his hero, and even went so far as to apply for membership to the National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes. His application was denied of course, as he looks nothing like Marlon Brando. He was devastated, and rode home on his bike crying. That's when he had the epiphany that led him to cycling and framebuilding. Sometimes he still watches South Park and reminisces about what could have been...
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry my son made an entry and I deleted it.
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 03-07-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: My 6th month old made an entry (really) and it was totally random
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Sorry man, I guess I should explain the inside joke.
    When Wade was a child he loved movies. He would watch stuff like The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, and act them out in his room. Eventually, this behavior sparked the desire to get into film. He wanted to follow in the footsteps of his hero, and even went so far as to apply for membership to the National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes. His application was denied of course, as he looks nothing like Marlon Brando. He was devastated, and rode home on his bike crying. That's when he had the epiphany that led him to cycling and framebuilding. Sometimes he still watches South Park and reminisces about what could have been...
    I am quite aware of the episode, its just that "other" organization is nothing but bad news.

Thanks for understanding.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    sorry my son made an entry and I deleted it.
    How was his spelling?

D