Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Web site software for small custom builders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Web site software for small custom builders

In a previous life (I currently teach high school Computer Science), I was a web site programmer and database guy. I still like to keep my skills honed, so I usually have a side project or two going on.

Several years ago, I was discussing building a fully-featured web site for a fairly well-known framebuilder in the Philadelphia area (not on VS, as far as I know) in exchange for a custom frame or two. The builder kept on adding functionality that he wanted (known as "feature creep") and it got to the point where I had several thousand dollars more work into the site than I would have gotten in return for the frames he was going to build for me. Yeah, I know, I'm a shitty businessman. The builder balked big-time when I told him we needed to either finish the site as it was, or he needed to cough up some cash or parts, and the deal fell apart.

Since then, I've built a couple of my own frames, and I've thought about resurrecting the code and offering it as a "software service" model that individual builders could use to help manage customers, builds, build status, and that sort of thing, but I'd only do this if I thought there would be demand for it.

Anyway, as it sits now, the software supports:
    * Models of frame
    * Different finish levels
    * Frame variants
    * Stock sizes/geometries per model
    * braze-ons
    * colors
    * Frame images

along with a pretty comprehensive marketing website capability, if the customer wants it, including:
    * Full content management system via a web browser
    * Photo albums
    * Event calendar
    * Document management system
    * Email list management and bulk emailing

I would add:
    * Customer management (including customer log-in)
    * Order management
    * Frame status & workflow with email notifications to customer

Anyhow, I'm not looking for any commitment whatsoever from anyone, I'm just wondering if there is any interest from the framebuilding community for web site software suite that served the needs of the small custom & limited production stock framebuilder. Pricing would be about $25/mo and would include hosting for the site. If there is interest, I'd be interested in hearing what sort of functionality would be most useful -- but remember, I'm building software that would serve the needs of a broader community, rather than very specific needs of a single builder.

Thanks,

Pete
    * Different construction (i.e. lugged, fillet, tig)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Web site software for small custom builders

i'd be very very interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse my software ignorance here, are you offering a template type of program that will let the builder "fill in the blanks" and then you host it? Or are you saying you'll do all the data entry/site building/hosting/maintenance if the builder sends you the info?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fill in the blanks. It's a database driven web application that allows non-technical users to update their own information via a web browser. I like building apps, not updating content :)

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete,

how easy would this be to use? Do you have a sample or example up and running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My focus is always on making sites reasonably easy to use. Right now, what exists is the piece that allows a builder to "build" models, since that's what my original customer was looking for, and customers would then select a model, level of finish, construction method, size, braze-ons, and color. There are, out of necessity, a series of steps that are needed to build a "model", again, because of the semi-custom nature of what the customer was looking for. However, as I think about it more, what I think I will begin working on is the customer and order management piece. As small framebuilders, what would you be looking for in a web-based application that would make managing your business easier? I'm not talking about managing money, since apps like mint.com and Quicken already have that covered. What builder-specific problems could be addressed? Communication? Status of order? Managing customers?

I could tell you what I think I need to build, but I should probably listen to what builders are looking for first.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, I'm not really interested in the features of managing a business nor giving the client options to confuse the process. I'd just like an easy site to maintain that draws the customer in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, you're skills put you in another computer world than most of us. Here's an idea, just get thoughts going.
    Have a link from the general business website which would take the potential customer through the process of making a deposit and writing in personal information like name and address etc. They would then be assigned a login and password which would from then on in the process take them to a dedicated page showing all the history and status of their build. Within this would be the documents the builder would like have the customer fill out, and it would allow the customer to write about their needs. The builder would make updates to the account and they would then be displayed on the page the next time the customer logs in. Photos could be uploaded by either party. It could go all the way to tracking # on shipping day. And maybe beyond with a feedback page.
    Just some thoughts about what a computer could do. The one thing you wouldn't want to do is to depersonalize the process for the customer. I think a big part of getting a bike from a builder is the personal link. It needs to retain that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Craig. Good stuff, and actually not all that difficult.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the customer login piece is really good yes as long as it doesn't depersonalize the experience which I don't think it would.
    1) have milestone dates? so customers can see some sort of ETA (can also be a trigger to the builder on when job x is y days out)
    2) use a 'discussion' format for customer/builder interaction - much like a forum where a conversation can be seen. Threads are great because you see dates, where things left off , can upload pics etc. Good for both the builder and client vs surfing mail inboxes for something you 'think' you read or don't remember where you put.

That way the docs (cad outputs, pics, tracking numbers) can live in the details/context of the conversation vs separately in some attachment screen. This way there is less input screens/fields and the conversation is organic without being computery.

Trick is migrating the conversations OUT OF EMAIL and into the discussion once a deposit has started...

anyway 25 for hosting is nice. Even just a way for builders too to integrate your hosted code into their existing pages that they may have a lot invested in wouldn't be bad.