Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OT: Tall Folk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: Tall Folk

The thread on high-end clothing got me thinking. I'm not tall by any means (5' 11.5") but my fiancee, who is my height, is certainly considered tall for a woman. She was given this book as a gift:

The Tall Book: A Celebration of Life from on High

Now, you tall folks out there may have read this or been given a copy. Even for an average guy like myself, it was an eye-opening read and well worth the time. It discusses, in a lighthearted fashion, the obstacles, perceptions and advantages (yes, there are many, apparently) that a Tall (the author's term for a tall person) must deal with on a daily basis. The dearth of good clothing was a major topic; it seems that companies like Rochester Big & Tall are now either out of business, or focusing more on the "Big" side of the business.

My eventual point is that there is clearly a market for clothing for the tall lean folk, in our case, high-quality cycling clothing. It seems to me that a boutique manufacturer could take advantage of this unfilled niche in the market.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Tall Folk

I can relate, long and lean with a 37" inseam, 36" sleeve length. Bespoke clothing is great for finery, but it's a constant struggle for everything else. Having been in the apparel business I was fortunate enough to get lots of sportswear items custom made for me at factories, but absent that, you find what works and stick with it. Bigger online retailers like J Crew and Banana Republic have quite a few pieces in both "tall" and "slim fit" sizes (great fit on shirts/sweaters and longer inseams for pants). Some brands define themselves around a more "athletic" fit (e.g., Arcteryx) and most Euro brands tend to be longer and leaner. The fattening of America means sizing has gone up in width, not length.

As Randy Newman sang, "short people got no reason" ... and fat people got even less

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    The thread on high-end clothing got me thinking. I'm not tall by any means (5' 11.5") but my fiancee, who is my height, is certainly considered tall for a woman. She was given this book as a gift:

The Tall Book: A Celebration of Life from on High

Now, you tall folks out there may have read this or been given a copy. Even for an average guy like myself, it was an eye-opening read and well worth the time. It discusses, in a lighthearted fashion, the obstacles, perceptions and advantages (yes, there are many, apparently) that a Tall (the author's term for a tall person) must deal with on a daily basis. The dearth of good clothing was a major topic; it seems that companies like Rochester Big & Tall are now either out of business, or focusing more on the "Big" side of the business.

My eventual point is that there is clearly a market for clothing for the tall lean folk, in our case, high-quality cycling clothing. It seems to me that a boutique manufacturer could take advantage of this unfilled niche in the market.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harth Hoffman - Wabi Woolens is there for you man. His new goods are cut lean and they are made in a tall version. You will not find a better wool jersey.

I hear you, there is a dearth of tall slim goods and there is a neverending search for "the good stuff".

Niche market for cataolgue purveyors perhaps so however the market for an mfg. who primarily makes tall goods is a non-starter I think.

FWIIW Nordstroms requently makes their brand with generous tails and often offers "athletic" cuts with little fanfare. I'm a fan ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    FWIIW Nordstroms requently makes their brand with generous tails and often offers "athletic" cuts with little fanfare. I'm a fan ;)
    I wear exclusively Nordstrom-brand undershirts. TMI?

They're the only ones I've ever found that will stay tucked in for a size "large." They used to offer a "tall" version in addition to their standard offering, but I believe they streamlined offerings and the "tall" became the "regular."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I wear exclusively Nordstrom-brand undershirts. TMI?

They're the only ones I've ever found that will stay tucked in for a size "large." They used to offer a "tall" version in addition to their standard offering, but I believe they streamlined offerings and the "tall" became the "regular."
    This has got me thinking about how messed up size grading in the apparel industry has become...

Used to fit just fine in Jockey XL Tall t-shirts. Now I can swim in the size L Tall. I'm the same as I've ever been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary, we need you to get back into the clothing biz and straighten all of this out. I know, I know, it's a retirement job and all.

Perhaps expand the reach of Bailey Works textiles to include a clothing line? Maybe that's already in the works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being 6'5" and Dutch (I live in the US) I don't even stand out over there. Maybe I should start a little side business...