Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Magnolia Cycles

OK - question time. Awnser as you see fit. "what do you bring to the collective framebuilding table" - why would someone buy one of your bikes & not one of the offerings from others out there? Your frame price is pretty average for a high quality experienced builder, so what makes a client drop the deposit in your court? Since this is the WWW I will add that this is not asked in a negative way but as more of a segue to more content. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    OK - question time. Awnser as you see fit. "what do you bring to the collective framebuilding table" - why would someone buy one of your bikes & not one of the offerings from others out there? Your frame price is pretty average for a high quality experienced builder, so what makes a client drop the deposit in your court? Since this is the WWW I will add that this is not asked in a negative way but as more of a segue to more content. - Garro.
    I feel what I bring to the table is another perspective. What that perspective is may still, and always be under development but it will be worthy. I come from an art background and am very process oriented. I do nearly everything by hand and only have a few electric tools. I think this process connects me to the work on a very intimate level. I have nothing against those who use machinery and really would love to have a lathe or a mill but I do love my process. This lends itself well to more traditional frames but I also have a desire to use this process to build frames with a more modern feel. Purchasing a bike from me may be a leap of faith for some since I don't have the reputation or notoriety as someone such as yourself (Big fan of your work btw) but I can offer them a quality product. As with most builders my prices reflect my personal value of my work and allow a reasonable margin to enable me to continue. I have done frames in trade and for cost plus deals but I don't do that often lest people come to expect it. As a new builder it is daunting to look at the sheer number of great builders out there and say "There's room for me too" but I do feel I have a place and hope everyone agrees. To date most of my work has been pretty straight forward lugged or fillet brazed but I do have some bikes in the pipeline with which I hope to distinguish myself. Nothing groundbreaking but I think it will be nice. In the beginning all I wanted to do was build bikes. Now that I have proven to myself I can do that I want to create an aesthetic that is Magnolia Cycles. I have an idea of that aesthetic and will be working toward it in the coming months and years.

Thanks for the questions Steve. I feel honored to be a part of this list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliacycles View Post
    I feel what I bring to the table is another perspective. What that perspective is may still, and always be under development but it will be worthy. I come from an art background and am very process oriented. I do nearly everything by hand and only have a few electric tools. I think this process connects me to the work on a very intimate level. I have nothing against those who use machinery and really would love to have a lathe or a mill but I do love my process. This lends itself well to more traditional frames but I also have a desire to use this process to build frames with a more modern feel. Purchasing a bike from me may be a leap of faith for some since I don't have the reputation or notoriety as someone such as yourself (Big fan of your work btw) but I can offer them a quality product. As with most builders my prices reflect my personal value of my work and allow a reasonable margin to enable me to continue. I have done frames in trade and for cost plus deals but I don't do that often lest people come to expect it. As a new builder it is daunting to look at the sheer number of great builders out there and say "There's room for me too" but I do feel I have a place and hope everyone agrees. To date most of my work has been pretty straight forward lugged or fillet brazed but I do have some bikes in the pipeline with which I hope to distinguish myself. Nothing groundbreaking but I think it will be nice. In the beginning all I wanted to do was build bikes. Now that I have proven to myself I can do that I want to create an aesthetic that is Magnolia Cycles. I have an idea of that aesthetic and will be working toward it in the coming months and years.

Thanks for the questions Steve. I feel honored to be a part of this list.
    Nice, is there a chance I could hire you to ghost write all my answers from here on out?.........please :)
    Last edited by bellman; 12-03-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Nice, is there a chance I could hire you to ghost right all my answers from here on out?.........please :)
    Thanks, from time to time I'm able to assemble my thoughts and get them out for everyone to read.

My ghost writing fees reflect my ego's value of my work and you probably don't want to know the price. :)