Likes Likes:  0

Thread: For the painters: House of Kolor and Imron clear compatibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For the painters: House of Kolor and Imron clear compatibility

Do any of you guys use Imron clear over House of Kolor base coats or Kandies? Do you uses a hok clear to seal off the Kandy if you do? I've heard of it being done to give a little bit of extra durability but am looking for some first hand experience. Thanks, JG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: For the painters: House of Kolor and Imron clear compatibility

When I switched over to HOK base coats I still had a bunch of Imron clear left over. I have used the Imron clear a few times over HOK pearls and candies and so far have not had any issues. I think the HOK clears maybe a bit more durable though. One has good UV resistance and is also solvent resistant. Another is a bit more elastic. When I am all done with Imron I will completely make the switch to HOK. I think they have a great product plus the colors are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's no compatibility issue. I don't shoot Imron clear but JB and Keith Anderson shoot it all the time and both use HOK a lot. I use HOK a lot but don't use their clears. I've used other Dupont clears over HOK with no issues. Definitely seal up the candies with a clear (your clear of choice) before sticking on decals or else you can get candy bleed through the decals. I've never experienced that but only because of JB and Keith saved me from that mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to Curt.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    There's no compatibility issue. I don't shoot Imron clear but JB and Keith Anderson shoot it all the time and both use HOK a lot. I use HOK a lot but don't use their clears. I've used other Dupont clears over HOK with no issues. Definitely seal up the candies with a clear (your clear of choice) before sticking on decals or else you can get candy bleed through the decals. I've never experienced that but only because of JB and Keith saved me from that mistake.
    thanks Curt, exactly what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Definitely seal up the candies with a clear (your clear of choice) before sticking on decals or else you can get candy bleed through the decals. I've never experienced that but only because of JB and Keith saved me from that mistake.
    i have, it's a very real issue. if you are worried about mil'age, you can use an intercoat clear to lock it down. but Curt already knows that.

although i have never used it, i'm told the "ready to spray" HOK candys do not bleed. i don't trust it though and would always prefer to lock it down with something. bleeding is something that can happen long after the frame has left your hands.
    Last edited by crumpton; 11-20-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    are worried about mil'age, you can use an intercoat clear to lock it down. but Curt alreadyi have, it's a very real issue. if you knows that.

although i have never used it, i'm told the "ready to spray" HOK candys do not bleed. i don't trust it though and would always prefer to lock it down with something. bleeding is something that can happen long after the frame has left your hands.
    the tech sheets still list a few of those that will bleed through. clear is/was on the menu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    i have, it's a very real issue. if you are worried about mil'age, you can use an intercoat clear to lock it down. but Curt already knows that.

although i have never used it, i'm told the "ready to spray" HOK candys do not bleed. i don't trust it though and would always prefer to lock it down with something.
    They will and they do. I have until recently always shot a lockdown clear layer as Curt mentioned and JB and Brian told me. I did one of those one shot candy things recently and got bit in the ass with it (my stupidity). Turns out they are just candy base with pearl that mimics the effect. Lesson to me? Always lock down. Its just a safe bet.
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles
    Framebuilding courses http://www.framebuildingschool.com
    Carbon framebuilding courses http://www.carbonframebuildingschool.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the really vibrant colors from House of Kolor are dye based (think tie dye) rather than pigment based. Dyes have a tendency to bleed. I ALWAYS lock down my HOK before the next step. Also, if you mix systems like I do, you have to remember the old timers' creed "You can paint lacquer, but you can't lacquer paint" In this case I consider HOK as lacquer (even though it's not). If you put HOK on top, it will blow up and you'll have to start over. HOK is great looking paint, but the durability is noticeably less than DuPont or PPG.