Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

What will the handbuilt bicycle buyers market look like in 10 years and what if anything can , in your view, be done to sustain, foster and create opportunities for new builders?

Take you time. wink wink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What will the handbuilt bicycle buyers market look like in 10 years and what if anything can , in your view, be done to sustain, foster and create opportunities for new builders?

Take you time. wink wink.
    Pulling out the big guns, eh? I'll take a stab at this, and add more as it come to me (over the next 10 years, no doubt).

If the last 10 years have shown me anything its that something fairly niche can grow exponentially if the right combo of luck, work and vision come together. Just as an example 10 years ago the only custom builder in Portland (where I was living) I knew the name of was Andy at Strawberry (who I had lunch with today, btw).

I think growth happened for several reasons:
    - A small builder can build a mean bike
    - Buyers became aware that they could purchase a "good" rather then a "consumable"
    - Customer service and personal relationships are important and add value
    -The internet helped pull a bunch of solo builders together and helped with the info share as well as the basis for a community of builders and enthusiasts

I see the current "boom" as a potential for an even bigger step forward. What we (solo and small shops) make are relevant,modern and high performance products. By the nature of the single builder/ single buyer relationship we cater to a "specific", highly personal market niche that large mfgs can't, and arguably shouldn't.

I'm a board member of the Oregon Bicycle Constructors Association- we're a non profit trade group working to foster interest in Oregon hand made bikes, as well as provide support to small builders. Thats an evolving concept, but it includes things like info sharing, group purchasing, association advertising, professional development clinics, show promotion (for our Oregon show as well as group exhibits at other shows) etc. At it's most basic form it allows local builders to connect with other builders and not work in a vacuum. Seeing other folks work, discussing process and sharing goes a long way towards helping all of us develop our skills and professionalism.

I'm excited to see other such groups develop around the country. Opening forums like this one are a fantastic way of highlighting what, why and how we do what we do.

Thats a start- I'm sure my answer will evolve and develop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents moved from Baltimore to Eugene and then to Portland a few years ago. While visiting them in Oregon, I was struck by how different the attitude toward industrialization, 'development', economic 'growth', nature, etc are in Oregon than on the east coast I was familiar with. I am curious how large your market is outside of Oregon and what you are doing, other than website in order to promote your bikes. Are you in any way politically involved in promoting cycling or the lifestyle of cycling? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JBLANDE View Post
    My parents moved from Baltimore to Eugene and then to Portland a few years ago. While visiting them in Oregon, I was struck by how different the attitude toward industrialization, 'development', economic 'growth', nature, etc are in Oregon than on the east coast I was familiar with. I am curious how large your market is outside of Oregon and what you are doing, other than website in order to promote your bikes. Are you in any way politically involved in promoting cycling or the lifestyle of cycling? Thanks!
    I'm an east coaster as well- I moved to Portland from NH to go to school. I bounced around the west a bit, but I'm back!

Most of my full bike sales are in state at the moment (working on developing from this base).I assume that is due to word of mouth and that people in Oregon can and have seen the bikes at shows, events, under riders, etc. My parts (stems, forks etc) sold as accessories are almost exclusively sold out of state- I think its an easier purchase sight unseen, and those offerings are fairly unique in the market. I've been getting lots of web traffic from around the country as well as a lot of international traffic.

My current marketing (which I admittedly need to work on) includes social networking media (the blog, flickr, Facebook), my participation on several web forums, my work with and attendance at the Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show and other regional shows and events. I'll set up a booth at pretty much any group ride or advocacy event willing to have me. This year I'll also head out to NAHBS. I have also received some good web press for some of my bikes and show presence.

I have been an active promoter of cycling as sport, exercise and as transportation for a long time. In SLC I was a board member for the SLC Bicycle Collective, a non-profit community shop that was also the hub for local bike advocacy. I was a League of American Bicyclists certified instructor and taught many safety, commuting and mechanical classes. I also worked with HS students teaching bike skills, but also worked with students on trail maintnance, race support and to explore the local and personal development parts of the sport. In Eugene I am a member of GEARS, a local advocacy group and work with OBCA to support the professional end of the industry.