Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carbon steerer insert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbon steerer insert

Any builders ever fab Alpha-Q style fork inserts so as to avoid the hassle with the compression plugs? Would be a pretty easy project on the lathe. I'll be somebody could even make some extra cash on the side selling them no?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Any builders ever fab Alpha-Q style fork inserts so as to avoid the hassle with the compression plugs? Would be a pretty easy project on the lathe. I'll be somebody could even make some extra cash on the side selling them no?
    You really do not need a lathe if this is something you want. Take a 1" cut off from some random tube (1" .028 would be best). Trim it to 2.5" or so and slot the tube lengthwise. Make the slot large enough so the tube slips in the steerer with a bit of spring loading to it. Bond it in the steerer after cutting to length with a proper glue like DP-420 and wait til morning. Insert 1" star nut with standard tools.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did one for an Easton SLX90... little bit of aluminum+ some JB weld and its all good. Just be sure to have yer steerer length worked out for stem adjust. There is room for cutting after the fact but with all things other than lizard tails.. it dont grow back. PM me with dimentions if you desire an insert. Use a telescopic bore gauge to measure an average in two axis. The O.D. is what is controlled.. not the I.D.

This is for a solid non split sleeve like Drew said. There are advantages and likewise for either case. The 'solid' insert has a center run thread to accept the cap bolt and supports with zero compression.. the failure warning for any carbon steerer warranty agreement. The cap bolt would need to be a good grade of stainless. preferably 316 series.. cuts down on galvanic action tween steel and aluminum. good grease also helps!

Not trying to be 'the smartest kid in the room' Drew.. just sharing what has held up to severe Chicago salt and worked for me at least.

Sail on..

c

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lathe job number 5731

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    made some over the years when needed
    many of the inserts supplied with forks are junk.
    as to selling them
    CNC a few thousand and then flogging them off and all the different sizes to make a $

errrr yuk

cheers from Italy, two golds for the Aussies, yah :beerglass:
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creighton View Post

Not trying to be 'the smartest kid in the room' Drew.. just sharing what has held up to severe Chicago salt and worked for me at least.

Sail on..

c
    Keep in mind I was saying how one could do it without a lathe, not how I would do it. I personally would just use stainless or aluminum and make it proper on the lathe. The trick to bonding and not having corrosion is put a thin layer of glue in the steerer and let dry. re sand and then bond in the sleeve. Works really well and won't corrode.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com