Thread: Fender/tire/brake clearance question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fender/tire/brake clearance question

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can adequately fit fenders and 28mm tires under "regular" short reach brakes, Campy, etc. - IIRC the reach on those is between 40/50mm with Shimano being about the same.

I've done this with 25mm tires and I remember it being a tight fit. I don't remember filing a mental note away on whether or not 28mm might work.

Anyone done this?

Thanks,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the specific caliper and the shape not only of the casting, but of how the brake arch changes through the throw of the brake. Some of the skeletal brakes (Record for instance) actually loose some vertical clearance as the brake closes. 6600 brakes will fit road tread 32's just fine (sans fender, of course).

For really tight use like this I prefer to split the fenders and mount them on either side for the bridge/ crown (or run mid reach brake calipers, of course). If you are really trying to sneak it you are building bridges and forks with the pads bottomed out. Not a big deal in its own right, but in my experience 28mm/ fender is a bit tighter then I like to go for shorter reach brakes.

It also depends on the tire and what 28mm actually means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with Eric. You can make 28's work if the fenders are plastic but with metal fenders it's too close for real world riding. Pebbles and road grit start clogging things up. Better to go to standard reach calipers for anything bigger than a 25 and metal fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info to know; thanks guys.

The plan was to use metal fenders if required.

conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor, my experience running metal fenders for the past 5 yrs. is that it looks REALLY cool to have them tight and perfectly follow tyre radius however you will pickup a stick or a stone that WILL circulate thru the fender which might only deform the fender and it might toss you in a ditch!!! Plan on having a reasonable clearance for safety sake. FWIIW I do not buy the argument for "break away" fender attachments, if you need them you'll prob. end up in the ditch anyway!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Conor, my experience running metal fenders for the past 5 yrs. is that it looks REALLY cool to have them tight and perfectly follow tyre radius however you will pickup a stick or a stone that WILL circulate thru the fender which might only deform the fender and it might toss you in a ditch!!! Plan on having a reasonable clearance for safety sake. FWIIW I do not buy the argument for "break away" fender attachments, if you need them you'll prob. end up in the ditch anyway!!!!
    Agreed on all accounts. At this point my plan for 'larger' tires and fenders is longer reach brakes and design the fork accordingly.

Cool and slick give way to safety every time.

conor