Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Need to figure out what G Shock I’m gonna get for 2024. Obviously it’s gonna be something for Nugget. I just can’t figure out what to do, and G Shock’s catalog is so large. His collar was this sorta blue splatter paint job, and his leash was like a lighter blue plaid. Blue was my color for him, so I’m thinking blue-ish. Maybe blue w/ orange…anyone seen anything that they can recall? Swear I saw a splatter series, but damn if I can find it now.

Attachment 125458
    This is the only "splatter" thing I can think of :: https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gsh...ct.G-5600BG-1/

There's a bright blue square coming out :: https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-en...-vivid-colors/

There's the new blue dial metal 2100 and blue-accented GMW-B5000 :: https://gshock.casio.com/us/products..._gm-b2100ad-2/

Plus you can always buy whatever model you like and then get different resin for it.

Also, just spotted the GW-S5600 for sale on the US G-Shock site. This has previously been a JDM only model. I've got one, but it's wearing white resin at the moment.

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gsh...t.GW-S5600U-1/

Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:41 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like one of those that j44ke shared earlier? Unimatic? https://www.unimaticwatches.com/uc1/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ that’s a reply to holliscx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming up on 2yrs with this one, it still rules.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Coming up on 2yrs with this one, it still rules.
    Unfair question: If you were buying today, would you still go BB58 (39mm) "Black/Gilt" or would you get something else such as (and why):
    - BB58 Blue (39mm)
    - BB58 GMT (39mm)
    - BB Monochrome (41mm)
    - Or maybe even the BB Harrods Edition (41mm) which I am amazed they finally put on the Tudor website even though one can still only get it at Harrods in London.

I have been selling off lots of my collection and am still looking for that "one and done" watch. It would actually be two and done since I am never selling the 36mm DateJust steel/gold my wife got me for a milestone birthday but is too "fancy" to wear all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Unfair question: If you were buying today, would you still go BB58 (39mm) "Black/Gilt" or would you get something else such as (and why)....
    Well...I think I have my favorite/perfect Tudor. It is the perfect watch (I do sometimes wish it had a date, but, I also appreciate the cleaner look without the date). But, I did it the most expensive way, and if buying today, I wouldn't do it the same way because there are options now that weren't available when I bought it.

Things I like about the BB58 - perfect size, I like the gilt (it's kinda dressy, but not too noticeable), I like that there's some polished surfaces on the case, and I like the pop of red from the triangle on the bezel.

I didn't like the stock bracelet tho. Don't like the stepped taper, or the fake rivets, and the stock clasp. Mine is rocking the bracelet from the Ranger, which uses the same mid-case as the BB58, so it fits perfectly and fixes all my complaints - regular taper, no rivets, and has the T-Fit clasp. I originally bought the watch on the fabric strap, and added an aftermarket bracelet but it's quality/fit/finish just never lived up to the rest of the watch. So when the Ranger came out a few months later, and it became known that it's bracelet fit the BB58, I ordered one and it hasn't been off for more than a day since then. I paid retail+sales tax for everything, so I'm nearly $4800 all in. Which is a lot of dough for a watch (for me!).

Today, there's other options I really like. The BB54 is almost the BB58, but has the T-Fit clasp, but I don't love the bracelet and I think the silver bezel markings don't look as good as the gilt markings on the BB58. BUT, the adjustable clasp trumps the other negatives - all my bracelet watches have quick adjust clasps, and I use them regularly. The 39mm Pelagos is awesome, but, if I'm spending that kind of money I want more of an all-arounder and the all brushed titanium doesn't dress up as well as the BB58 or BB54. Plus there's been some issues with the lume falling out of the bezel. I also really like the fixed bezel Black Bays, the 36mm in particular. But I really like having a timing bezel, I use it pretty often.

So long story short, buying today, it would probably come down to either the BB54 or the BB36 (non-diver). I'd want to try them both on and see which one I liked best. Not sure which dial option I like best of the BB36 models either, they all look great, I'd want to see them in person.

EDIT to add - the new GMT is cool, but I don't need a GMT and I prefer a timing bezel vs a GMT bezel. The 41mm options are too big for my preferences and scrawny wrist, ~6.75", maybe a bit less, I've recently had to remove links from a few watches as I've lost some weight). With the BB58 I've removed all of the removable links on the 6:00 side of the bracelet.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:27 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really really REALLY hope they introduce a black GMT. Or blue. But I have too many blue watches (recently added a Santos to go along with my blue BB58 and Pelagos). Monochromatic GMT. Please.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I really really REALLY hope they introduce a black GMT. Or blue. But I have too many blue watches (recently added a Santos to go along with my blue BB58 and Pelagos). Monochromatic GMT. Please.
    If history tells us anything about Tudor and the Black Bay Line: Red/Black, Black/Black-Gilt, and then Blue/Blue seems to be the order except for the GMT and FXD

BB41: Red/Black, Black/Black-Gilt, Blue/Blue, Harrods Green/Black-Gilt, Ed Sheeran Black/Black-Gilt (Divide Tour Limited Edition only), new Red/Black-Gilt, and then new Black monochrome
    BB58: Black then Blue

Pelagos: Black, Blue, then Black LHD/Destro (with fauxtina lume)

FXD: Blue then Black

BBGMT: Pepsi/Black, Pepsi/White
    BBPro (58 size case): Fixed bezel/Black
    BB58GMT: Coke/Black-Gilt

* I skipped a few such as the bronze, ceramic, silver, steel and gold, and gold because I was not really interested so I am not sure when they were announced. Another one was the Black Bay Steel (bezel) which came with a date and the one I should have purchased new when I had the chance.
    ** As has been mentioned by many people, they are really playing up the Black Bay name. I wish they would stop using it for everything and better define the model line names.
    *** They have been coming out with some interesting stuff the past few years but unfortunately a few of the coolest models IMHO did not last: Heritage Advisor and the North Flag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on Christopher Ward?

They have been around 20 years so are they a microbrand? Independent? Something else?
    Anyone own one? Thoughts on price/value ratio? Cool/favorite design?

Twelve X, Bel Canto, Twelve

Valour, Trident, Sealander

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had two Sealanders (not at the same time), the white 39mm and a black 36mm. Great fit and finish, good bracelets, good quick adjust clasp. Didn't keep either, can't say why really, just wasn't wearing them much. The white one had the movement break, the common issue w/the winding mechanism. Sent it back to CW, they repaired and returned it, kept it a while longer then moved it on. It felt noticeably smoother when I got it back. The black one (which I got later) felt smooth right out of the box and never had any issues.

I just ordered one of these. Had my eye on the brand for a while, didn't realize they had put out the '2nd season' until this video below made me take another look at their site and the 'peach' color caught my eye immediately. I'm calling it GA Peach tho ;)

Anyone interested in this forum and handmade things should watch these videos too. One day I'll get me a Grand Seiko....

Last edited by dgaddis; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bel Canto punches so far above it's weight. In my opinion. I think it's really a special piece. And I really, really wish I could've gotten in on the limited McLaren/ Volcano orange one.
    @dgaddis - keep us updated on the Trafford. I think he's done a good job of capturing central Texas themes in an attractive design language. The Mockingbird and Terlingua tickle my fancy.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I've had two Sealanders (not at the same time), the white 39mm and a black 36mm. Great fit and finish, good bracelets, good quick adjust clasp. Didn't keep either, can't say why really, just wasn't wearing them much. The white one had the movement break, the common issue w/the winding mechanism. Sent it back to CW, they repaired and returned it, kept it a while longer then moved it on. It felt noticeably smoother when I got it back. The black one (which I got later) felt smooth right out of the box and never had any issues.

I just ordered one of these. Had my eye on the brand for a while, didn't realize they had put out the '2nd season' until this video below made me take another look at their site and the 'peach' color caught my eye immediately. I'm calling it GA Peach tho ;)

That was my concern about Christopher Ward: are they very good but also too boring (i.e. Trident, Sealander)?
    Then they come out with a string of hits: BelCanto, Moonphase, Twelve, and Twelve X. Apparently another big announcement/release is coming end of summer.

I had that same winding mechanism issue on my Oris ProPilot with an SW200 movement. Apparently Selita has fixed/updated in a revised version of the movement.

I watched those videos and all are great. I think Mr. Wonderful is a pompous douche especially because 3-4 years ago (before the hype) he knew nothing about watches and now he claims to be an expert. He has money and influence which unfortunately probably gets him watches he does not deserve.

I saw the Trafford in the video and do think it is cool/different; great pick-up on the GA (not TX) Peach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else read the non-complimentary article about Hodinkee posted in the WSJ today? Unable able to share an open link.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Did anyone else read the non-complimentary article about Hodinkee posted in the WSJ today? Unable able to share an open link.
    Yep. It was an ok read. Too focused on Hodinkee's rapid expansion and retraction as a business as they jumped into the fray as a second hand dealer and not enough focus on the broader market conditions that Hodinkee contributed to and then were, subsequently, hurt by. But it was fine.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/style/fashion/ho...hare_permalink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Thanks Doug.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to love the bel canto, but it feels like it was 100% built to price point. I'm not sure if it's the ti alloy, but the finish of the case seems cheap and the button for the chime plasticky. I feel the same way about their new moon phase, but I might still get it because of the better price point. I love everything about their little 36mm integrated sportwatch except the dial - too much texture and no subtlety. It's so much better than the PRX in every other way, though.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I really want to love the bel canto, but it feels like it was 100% built to price point. I'm not sure if it's the ti alloy, but the finish of the case seems cheap and the button for the chime plasticky. I feel the same way about their new moon phase, but I might still get it because of the better price point. I love everything about their little 36mm integrated sportwatch except the dial - too much texture and no subtlety. It's so much better than the PRX in every other way, though.
    At the end of the day, everything is built to a price point and at least CW makes it clear that's what they do. Direct to consumer and 3x tier costs which makes them a value play. And they have some nice designs. I have not seen a BelCanto in-person but hopefully will have the opportunity at the NYC Wind Up Fair in October.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New strap - https://straphabit.com/products/depl...43995300888729

FKM rubber, keeper-less Omega-style set up. Thin supple rubber, probably wouldn't look right on a chunky diver, but on a thinner watch it works great. This one will live on my Seiko-mod flieger, and I'm probably going to get a 21mm in blue as well for my Astron and Oceanus, and I think the Formex quick adjust clasp will fit.....

Can't argue with the price much either.

With my skinny wrists I trimmed the free end down on mine, it almost reached the other spring bar haha.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Unfair question: If you were buying today, would you still go BB58 (39mm) "Black/Gilt" or would you get something else such as (and why):
    - BB58 Blue (39mm)
    - BB58 GMT (39mm)
    - BB Monochrome (41mm)
    - Or maybe even the BB Harrods Edition (41mm) which I am amazed they finally put on the Tudor website even though one can still only get it at Harrods in London.

I have been selling off lots of my collection and am still looking for that "one and done" watch. It would actually be two and done since I am never selling the 36mm DateJust steel/gold my wife got me for a milestone birthday but is too "fancy" to wear all the time.
    If you just have to have a Tudor why get a black face when blue is the more stylish color for watch faces?

Tudors also cost between $250 to $1,000, depending on model, just to have them serviced every two years, however, if you can afford a Tudor you probably don't have a problem paying to get it serviced, but at least it's cheaper than a Rolex to get serviced!

The other problem with watches like the Tudor is that it's trying to be a copy of the Rolex, as do a bunch of other makers, and people know that. If I wanted a diving-look watch I would get the Tissot SeaStar 1000, or the Seiko Turtle, they cost between $150 to $250 to service.

I'm not saying that the Tudor is a bad watch, but like the Rolex and a few others, they are way overpriced, and the service prices are insane.

There are also a few microbrands that make very nice watches like the Eza Sealander, they have different cases and face colors, but the most striking one is the bronze case with a blue face and bezel, and you have a choice of several different bands. The Eza is timed in 6 different positions and reportedly is accurate to within 30 seconds a month; but the Seiko models have a brighter longer-lasting lume, accuracy I'm not sure how the better ones run.