Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

We safely arrived in Worland, Wyoming, on Saturday and were able to go directly to our property and hook up the trailer. I made sure nothing had made a home in the 100A box and turned it on at the pole. I flushed out the water line, ran the hose to the trailer, and dumped grey water to check the flow to the septic tank. All good. We looked at some houses in town since we're looking to relocate away from NW Arizona. I think we'll buy a manufactured home for our property since it already has septic, water, and power. We can do a construction loan to upgrade the waterline to 1.5" and run a gas line.

In other news, I had to run the furnace today because it was 40 and raining. We have a few nights in the mid-30s before it becomes spring next week with 80/50 days.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good re-cap Bill. LOL I remember July snow squalls in Rock Springs. It certainly is never boring there is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have had off-and-on sleet since noon. I have the electric fireplace running to keep the place kind of warm. I have used the day to assemble more sources for my latest thesis which I'll start writing next month. The 4G around here is spectacular and I upped my Verizon account to 130 GB a month so I can hotspot and use my laptop. Finding primary sources from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries is challenging, so I am relying on journals and publications. Midwife diaries are very useful. If you see me in a bar, buy me some beers and I'll tell you all about the Proclamation of 1763 and how it was responsible for the Revolutionary War, but I'll only use examples from western Pennsylvania.

The upcoming weekend looks better for riding with upper 60s and the following week will have 80-degree days.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True fact: if you are in a trailer which is stuck by lightning the rubber tires are not going to save you.

This was my thinking when a ground strike happened just feet from my trailer window. The sound was loud enough to shutdown my hearing aides!!! The smell is what convinced me this really did just happen.

I'd rather this did not happen again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    True fact: if you are in a trailer which is stuck by lightning the rubber tires are not going to save you.

This was my thinking when a ground strike happened just feet from my trailer window. The sound was loud enough to shutdown my hearing aides!!! The smell is what convinced me this really did just happen.

I'd rather this did not happen again.
    We had a close strike two years ago in Wyoming. It split a limb off a tree about 200 feet away. Of course, we had the trailer under a huge cottonwood. When I did the power for our RV site, I drove an 8' grounding rod in the ground next to my 100A panel with a large gage copper conductor connecting to ground from said panel. It's pretty much there for lightning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the lightning strike. That rascal ran down the wire 200 yards and fried the Franklin Electronics protection for our well pump. Good news the electronics saved the pump, bad news is that costs large. I'm going to have a heart to heart with the power company about their barely adequate ground rod. This is the second time the well house got hit and fried the electronics in a three yr. span. Humph.

Trailer Camps are magnets for tornados and lightning. You heard it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is the summer setup in Washakie County, Wyoming. We have Syndicate and Chancy in the upper field with us and will shortly have Scully and Chase in the lower field. Chancy and Scully are full sisters and their sire is Chase, who is now a gelding. Chase is an appaloosa with great markings, but failed to pass down the trait. Chancy's real name is Last Chance, because she was the last foal he sired and she did not get the traits. He was gelded a few months later. Chase is 30, Scully is 25, Chancy is 21, and Syndicate is 16. Scully and Chase are literally out to pasture for the rest of their lives.

The fence with the electric tape was made with repurposed wood. We had considered wood cross rails, but decided we didn't need to buy more wood and the remaining poles are too large in diameter.

The trailer setup was good to go, nothing made a nest over the winter, plus I had it shut off at the pole. I dump tanks every 3-5 days and tell everyone who uses our bathroom to sing the happy birthday song to themselves while holding down the flush pedal. When we build our house on the lower field, I'll leave this setup in place with some extra 30A outlets for visitors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Livin' the life big boy. Great to see the horses. Boy do I miss that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightning…the one and only wireless electricity.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, we're almost ready. Leaving Sunday (6/9) for about two months, heading west thru NY, Canada briefly, into MI to northern MI (Traverse City) and the UP, and ending up in Door County WI for a few weeks before working our way back into VT and Lake Champlain. Phew. 8 years ago, we went west a similar way into the MI UP and it worked out well going north of the lakes. And the UP is fantastic.

Getting the trailer ready has been.....eventful. Apparently, I didn't get all the water out of the toilet water line when I blew the lines out last fall because a valve in the toilet cracked. Easy fix, but I got totally hosed by the RV dealer for the part. $60+ for a piece of plastic I could get online for <$30, but I needed it NOW.

Then, I was up on the roof checking out the caulk in various places. I was on my knees feeling around, put my hand on the skylight over the shower - and my hand went right thru the skylight. There were words said. The trailer is now 10 years old and I guess the plastic got brittle in that time. After I regained sanity, I got some thick plastic sheeting and strong tape to cover the hole. This will be a long-term temporary fix I'll have to keep an eye on and fix it when we get back. I might consider getting a mobile RV repair guy to fix it in WI.

Just got new tires, old ones were 6 years old. Blowouts suck. Been there.

Bearings were greased by a mechanic. He tested the emergency brake-away switch - that failed and he replaced it.

The awning stitching is pulling out in places which gave me the opportunity to learn about a sewing awl called Speedy Stitcher(R) and did what I could to patch that up.

After cleaning some mouse poop, we went on a shakedown cruise to Horseneck Beach in Westport MA for 3 nights. Went well and made a visit to the Back Eddy restaurant.

Meanwhile, had to reconfigure the bike rack in the back of the truck to accommodate my wife's new e-bike. The truck has a cap and we keep bikes, tools and other stuff back there.

So now, we're getting all our stuff together to pack into the trailer. Can't wait to just leave.

We will probably (try to) sell the trailer and the truck at the end of the season and replace it with a smaller trailer, like ~25'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TCB Merlin. Often said "it is not JUST a lifestyle, it is also a hobby".

Safe travels, please share locales and impressions. VS approved campsites always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Once we build our place in Wyoming, we'll get a smaller travel trailer. We have the 33' trailer because it is our home 3-4 months a year, in Wyoming. After we relocate, I'd say a month of living in it, at the most, so a 25-26' trailer will be in our future. Our 33' trailer excludes us from many RV parks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, ours is 30' with a large LR slide and a small wardrobe slide in the BR. It was great when we went around the country in '16 because, as my wife said, there will be rain for days sometime and we're going to need the space. The coasts of OR and northern CA in Oct delivered said rain, in a big way. We're still married.

The '15 F-250 and the '14 TT are showing their age a bit and I don't want to deal with it. The thing with the truck is it's showing rust spots (hey, life in NE), and the trailer has soft spots in the floor. A smaller trailer could be pulled with a 1/2 ton and we plan on sticking to east coast trips. The current trailer could be tough to sell with a soft RV market.

Safe travels, all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
    Yup, ours is 30' with a large LR slide and a small wardrobe slide in the BR. It was great when we went around the country in '16 because, as my wife said, there will be rain for days sometime and we're going to need the space. The coasts of OR and northern CA in Oct delivered said rain, in a big way. We're still married.

The '15 F-250 and the '14 TT are showing their age a bit and I don't want to deal with it. The thing with the truck is it's showing rust spots (hey, life in NE), and the trailer has soft spots in the floor. A smaller trailer could be pulled with a 1/2 ton and we plan on sticking to east coast trips. The current trailer could be tough to sell with a soft RV market.

Safe travels, all.
    Kudos to you both for years of fun travel.

I got your 26' Airstream sitting in my driveway. Come and get it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Kudos to you both for years of fun travel.

I got your 26' Airstream sitting in my driveway. Come and get it!
    Huh? You selling? Done?

Ah, nevermind, went back and saw your older post.

Anyways, I'd get an AS, but my wife loves the slideout. We have had AS discussions - they were short discussions. She really likes our layout with a rear kitchen. Not sure if there is a shorter TT with a RK.

Packing some stuff today.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think no matter what we end up with, trailer-wise, I'll keep my F250. Up here in Wyoming, we're either driving in the Bighorn Basin where we live or pulling over the Bighorn Mountains and not much in between. Without a trailer, I can get 21-22 mpg, and on our trip up here with a loaded trailer, 13 mpg. When we relocate permanently to Wyoming, we'll bring the 2018 Ford Escape with its fire-breathing 1.5L three-cylinder engine for our daily driver. I'll put some good all-season tires on it for the winter.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but we shun interstates every chance we can while towing. Interstates in Wyoming, Utah, and Montana typically have 80 mph speed limits. I don't tow a trailer at those speeds; I'm typically 70 mph or less in the right lane. When we travel to Wyoming, we use I-70 from north of Moab to Rifle, CO, and I-80 for about 30 miles to Rawlins. The backroads have the best scenery anyway. Who wants to miss Monument Valley, frybread tacos in Cameron, all the old Mormon towns in Utah, scenic Muddy Gap or Baggs, or the Prison Museum in Rawlins?