Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
My son is just starting down this road after 15 years of successful but soulless gigs in the start-up world. He's most decidedly in the beginning stages. He spent a couple of weeks in Portland working 1:1 with a master luthier (don't know the name - a guy in his 80's apparently). He's built a few guitars from scratch for self and friends, a couple of whom are semi-successful musicians and early reviews are positive.

He's doing some consulting about 20 hours/week to keep a revenue stream as it's unlikely (and will take a while if it ever happens) for the luthier thing to become a sustainable profession. He's self-aware and knows that he will have to build hundreds to hone his craft.

Richard - I've spoken to him about your approach to your work over the years. He's spent some time of your website and was scrutinizing the workmanship on my bike even though he's never been into cycling.

I'm proud of him for following his dreams. A great kid.

https://www.instagram.com/damelioaxeworks/
Good Luck to your son Lou! It is a tough road to go down for some. I have been at it for 45 years so far. The most that I have learned from has actually been from the repair side. You get to see a lot of different styles of construction and methods. What works and what does not. I was lucky to have a inspiring teacher named Charles Fox who made really at problem solving as well as construction techniques. You end up doing for the love doing it.