Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 334 of 353 FirstFirst ... 324325326327328329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 7056

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I did some preliminary drawings of my wagon with wood panels.

The silver trim that runs along the bottom of the body makes adding faux wood trim look way too busy. It looks a bit better if the silver piece were to be painted body color or the same flat black as the body cladding, but still kinda busy.

I may abandon the idea of turning it into a woody. ☹️

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    oh lordy…
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Now that we know that celebrities in private jets are the actual fossil fuel problem … could the well-adjusted modern fellow be well served by the well-preserved ‘69 Ford Country Squire?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ntry-squire-2/
    Dunno if the ‘69 Country Squire would serve the well adjusted modern fellow but it did remarkably well for a maladjusted, rudderless and irresponsible high school fellow with whom I’m pretty familiar. “Late bloomer” sounds so much better.

Turns out that equipped with radials, pressure dropped a little and piloted by a pretty fair MX racer who’s speed/power/momentum management in sand was a point d’honneur, it could serve as a fair jeep on the two-rut sand road down to the Bob Sikes Cut at St George Island, long before the “Plantation” was developed. My surf buddies and I figured conditions might be better a few miles down the "road". It wasn’t; of course it wasn’t...it’s homogeneous Gulf Coast beach break; I stopped just a tad too far over the crest of a dune...though in retrospect I’m not sure getting turned around was possible. Oops. Might as well get wet and deal with it later. Later involved not an air drop down the dune face (this was when we had real dunes) but a damn steep one going into a big sweeping left-hander, all at decent speed to get through the soft pack and onto the hardpack near waters edge. Nearly worked but sadly the battery bounced around, shorted out, smoked some wiring insulation and I killed the engine; didn’t want to try a restart. Luckily a fisherman was coming back from the cut in his 4x and gave us a tow. And suddenly it was time to call my father and fess up; as the British say, he was not best pleased. Being someone who’d been trained to grind on the starter when needs must, and who had used that approach to get a relight of his F4U over Korea one fine day he said “try it”; fired right up. Turns out that while some insulation was a little the worse for wear it wasn’t terminal. I drove home, my stock price in the toilet; any further ramifications I don’t remember but they weren't terrible. He was generally a chill guy.

Miki Dora’s book is entitled “All For a Few Perfect Waves”; this was a case of “All For a Bunch of Really Crappy Waves”. As it happens my Karmann Ghia was a much better dune buggy, but the waves were rarely much better on SGI. And then there was the episode one weekend evening on the displaced threshold of TLH 36 but that's a story for another time, didn't involve the Country Squire and due to a fortunate lack of planning it worked out none the worse...well, that part worked out ok. It was a while before my judgement improved adequately.

Everybody, well an awful lot of the male members of the species, do some pretty stupid shit but I'd put my originality and creativity in that arena up against anybody else's, any time.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Dunno if the ‘69 Country Squire would serve the well adjusted modern fellow but it did remarkably well for a maladjusted, rudderless and irresponsible high school fellow with whom I’m pretty familiar. “Late bloomer” sounds so much better.

Turns out that equipped with radials, pressure dropped a little and piloted by a pretty fair MX racer who’s speed/power/momentum management in sand was a point d’honneur, it could serve as a fair jeep on the two-rut sand road down to the Bob Sikes Cut at St George Island, long before the “Plantation” was developed. My surf buddies and I figured conditions might be better a few miles down the "road". It wasn’t; of course it wasn’t...it’s homogeneous Gulf Coast beach break; I stopped just a tad too far over the crest of a dune...though in retrospect I’m not sure getting turned around was possible. Oops. Might as well get wet and deal with it later. Later involved not an air drop down the dune face (this was when we had real dunes) but a damn steep one going into a big sweeping left-hander, all at decent speed to get through the soft pack and onto the hardpack near waters edge. Nearly worked but sadly the battery bounced around, shorted out, smoked some wiring insulation and I killed the engine; didn’t want to try a restart. Luckily a fisherman was coming back from the cut in his 4x and gave us a tow. And suddenly it was time to call my father and fess up; as the British say, he was not best pleased. Being someone who’d been trained to grind on the starter when needs must, and who had used that approach to get a relight of his F4U over Korea one fine day he said “try it”; fired right up. Turns out that while some insulation was a little the worse for wear it wasn’t terminal. I drove home, my stock price in the toilet; any further ramifications I don’t remember but they weren't terrible. He was generally a chill guy.

Miki Dora’s book is entitled “All For a Few Perfect Waves”; this was a case of “All For a Bunch of Really Crappy Waves”. As it happens my Karmann Ghia was a much better dune buggy, but the waves were rarely much better on SGI. And then there was the episode one weekend evening on the displaced threshold of TLH 36 but that's a story for another time, didn't involve the Country Squire and due to a fortunate lack of planning it worked out none the worse...well, that part worked out ok. It was a while before my judgement improved adequately.

Everybody, well an awful lot of the male members of the species, do some pretty stupid shit but I'd put my originality and creativity in that arena up against anybody else's, any time.
    That Miki Dora book is a must read, BtW.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Yup.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Just added to my future reading list.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    I did some preliminary drawings of my wagon with wood panels.

The silver trim that runs along the bottom of the body makes adding faux wood trim look way too busy. It looks a bit better if the silver piece were to be painted body color or the same flat black as the body cladding, but still kinda busy.

I may abandon the idea of turning it into a woody. ☹️
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CwiOb6lu...ZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody, well an awful lot of the male members of the species, do some pretty stupid shit but I'd put my originality and creativity in that arena up against anybody else's, any time.[/QUOTE]

So true, and this father is only too happy his son hasn't even attempted to best him in this department.

My entry: I went to dancing school with Dianne Feinstein's daughter and we were briefly an item. Maybe eighth grade? In an attempt to impress her I drank half a bottle of vodka. I recall distinctly vomiting into the toilet, nothing but net, and then having an out of body experience on the corner. Dianne never called my parents, who were amazingly none the wiser, ever. I managed to eat dinner after a long soak in the tub when I got home. It was years before I could tolerate the smell of alcohol.

As for cars, a friend and I, about the same year, took his family's Montego wagon into a plowed field and did donuts until we cramped up from laughing. I don't think the car was ever the same. His Dad, RAF, who'd once tried to impress the Admiral's daughter by flying under a bridge when she was in the neighborhood, not realizing Dad was as well, never said a word.

I had to take Stanford-Binet tests every year in elementary school. My score would move up and down fifty points from one to the next. My Dad's term of endearment for me was "clot." I can do stupid like a champ.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

In retrospect, I never understood why my dad and my grandfather kept recalling us that time when my grandfather bought a new car and decided to lend the old peugeot 404 to my dad while he was driving the new panhard 24ct. Family was big so they needed 2 cars to carry everybody. They somehow wanted to know which car was handling better. Obviously they raced each other and my dad rolled the peugeot 404 in a corner (with some of his sisters inside). They all left the car thanksfully unscathed.

Not sure they thought it was a good lecture for teenagers who were about to be teached how to drive. Especially while both were laughing and dismissing the fact that half of the family could have been dead at that point.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-01-2023 at 04:01 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Nice work. I hope the insurance company doesn’t view it differently.
    I am sure the insurance company will treat it as an accident. This was widely reported over here when it happened. BBC just reported it as a lorry carrying £2mm of supercars tipped over in the high winds.

The cars belong to a company owned by Darren Edmunds who owns 'driver experience' companies. They were shipping the cars down to Goodwood for the festival. The guy has another 200 cars in the fleet, so he probably won't miss them too much except the Aventador. He told the press he better get out the T-Cut which is a scratch remover. So at least he had a sense of humor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful cabover. A '59 265 replaced the original motor that had cast-iron pistons. The pickup has 488,000 miles. One owner. Daily driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA The orig. engine was likely a 216 that you refer to. I managed to kill on of those...thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the parking garage backs your old car (that and the Spectrum enabled by y’all) you need a body guy who knows what he is doing within a couple hour ride home.

The restoration work these guys do is pretty amazing. Although they really didn’t want me to take pictures so all you get is the background vehicles here.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I've always been a big fan of Figoni & Falaschi.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A subtle Lambo in Nice for IronMan week. Must be too plain, folks were walking by and not casting a glance at it, except me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Beautiful cabover. A '59 265 replaced the original motor that had cast-iron pistons. The pickup has 488,000 miles. One owner. Daily driver.
    What I would like to know is, what's the function of the front end loader attachment on that tractor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    What I would like to know is, what's the function of the front end loader attachment on that tractor?
    From all the chains dangling off it, I am going to guess it has something to do with skidding logs.

Or it has a functional PTO but no forward gear so hook up your oxen and go mow.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    From all the chains dangling off it, I am going to guess it has something to do with skidding logs.

Or it has a functional PTO but no forward gear so hook up your oxen and go mow.
    If it was pointier I'd guess it was for moving round bales around.