Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Enviable Audio Dilemma

that stuff is gorgeous. I was always a tinkerer with electronics; grandad was an electrician and I definitely have an affinity for that kind of stuff. Enough to be tempted to do some diy stuff, although not going to try my hand on vintage McIntosh as a learning project. Wouldn't quite say I fall into the "don't want a sound system" type; more like, it is time to get this stuff serviced and re-capped, etc, and there is literally not a single authorized service location in the 250 mile search radius from my house, which in itself is kinda crazy. And the amp lists at 82 lbs; if it weren't for the very valuable glass faceplate I might be more inclined to move it around but that, and the big speakers, have me in the mood to explore options.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is really some cool equipment you have there. Who makes the drivers in the studio monitors?

I can understand your desire to downsize though. I used to enjoy building my own speakers, and I ended up with some very large heavy and imposing creations that held my living room hostage. It was a bit of a relief when someone local to me took them off my hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What sources do you want (streaming, CD, vinyl, radio, etc.)?

How much do you want to spend?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    What sources do you want (streaming, CD, vinyl, radio, etc.)?

How much do you want to spend?
    I own a tuner, CD player (old Yamaha DVD), and turntable (very average 80s Technics), all of which have been idle like the McIntosh for the last decade. Instead, I have been relying on the analog output of Sonos (S1/gen 1). Not impossible that I re-kindle using the tuner/cd/vinyl now that they are plugged back in, but I am leaning to streaming at a higher bitrate and possible DAC going forward.

As for budget, it will depend first and mainly on selling/trading the Mac gear, but I guess 2.5-5k would be ballpark to start, mainly devoted to amp/pre-amp, speakers, and DAC/means of digital delivery. I/We live comfortably, but more from living within means than deep pockets (i.e. no fleet of bikes, 10+year old car, etc)
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    I own a tuner, CD player (old Yamaha DVD), and turntable (very average 80s Technics), all of which have been idle like the McIntosh for the last decade. Instead, I have been relying on the analog output of Sonos (S1/gen 1). Not impossible that I re-kindle using the tuner/cd/vinyl now that they are plugged back in, but I am leaning to streaming at a higher bitrate and possible DAC going forward.

As for budget, it will depend first and mainly on selling/trading the Mac gear, but I guess 2.5-5k would be ballpark to start, mainly devoted to amp/pre-amp, speakers, and DAC/means of digital delivery. I/We live comfortably, but more from living within means than deep pockets (i.e. no fleet of bikes, 10+year old car, etc)
    $2500 - $5k is a big range, but affords lots of options.

If you want to preserve the option of hooking up the CD player, tuner and turntable you're going to need features and flexibility. There's great integrated amp options. The Musical Fidelty M3si looks good but I'd probably go for the Schiit Ragnarok for $1700, fully loaded. I've got their Aegir power amp and it's shockingly good for $800. If the Ragnarok's sound is in the ballpark it'll be tremendous. Hey, if you decide to ditch the CD player, tuner and turntable you should still consider the Ragnarok, without the 'extras'. But you should buy the Aegir and the $50 SYS volume control, and spend your "savings" on speakers!

On the less-expensive end, the $600 Bluesound Node is the go-to recommendation for streaming, and it's both a streamer and DAC. However... If you want to integrate with your existing Sonos system you'll need their Port streamer. (I've owned their Connect for seven years and it allows me to use the Sonos app to stream to my stereo in addition to my various Sonos Ones.) The Port doesn't have a great DAC so you're going to want a better one. I read that the DAC in the Rangarok is decent, but I'm sure there's even better out there. For, y'know, more money!

I haven't heard any of the best-reviewed $1k-ish speakers. From my reading I'd suggest you seek out the Elac Carina BS243.4, Polk L100, Polk R200, and the Sonus faber Lumina I. What I'd really suggest is that you find a good full-service audio shop where you can audition speakers and all this other equipment. I recently bought speakers for the first time since 1990 and was pleased to find - after some initial frustration - a really great full-service store an hour away (just over the NH border!) They lent me speakers for a home audition which was an essential step for me. I bought 'em.

Oh, one more thing: Subscribe to a lossless streaming service. Tidal, Apple Music. It's CD quality and, with hundreds of thousands of records, all you really need.

Good luck!
    Last edited by davids; 01-22-2023 at 06:43 PM.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Oh, one more thing: Subscribe to a lossless streaming service. Tidal, Apple Music. It's CD quality and, with hundreds of thousands of records, all you really need.

Good luck!
    I got Tidal not long ago, but need a better streaming device; currently relying on Sonos and I am pretty sure the S1 legacy stuff is limited for the bit rate. Does not seem CD quality.

thanks for the other suggestions
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of like-minded audio nerds on this site…

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.