Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

I postponed going to pick up the T4 until the weather that is turning California into a mosh pit moves through and my son returns to college. The seller is amenable, which is nice. A fireperson who puts a premium on safety. I take the forecast seriously. Riding out the last storm in Bolinas was fun, but things started to fly around and it looks like more of the same is on the way. Highway 1 out of Stinson was closed as was Bolinas/Fairfax. I’d have had a look/see on my bike, but I expect there’s a mess to clean up in many places along the coast.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On this trip we learned about running lights under the RV. In this part of the country, pack rats will get under your trailer and chew up the wiring. If you string lights, such as LED rope lights, under your RV, it keeps pack rats away. I think this mostly applies to people spending weeks at a time, but I got some lights anyway. About half of the RVs in this section of Catalina SP have them. It doesn't seem to affect our dark sky viewing.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    On this trip we learned about running lights under the RV. In this part of the country, pack rats will get under your trailer and chew up the wiring. If you string lights, such as LED rope lights, under your RV, it keeps pack rats away. I think this mostly applies to people spending weeks at a time, but I got some lights anyway. About half of the RVs in this section of Catalina SP have them. It doesn't seem to affect our dark sky viewing.
    That explains some things. I thought folks had these for purely festive reasons. Bill, I learn things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never knew that under lights served a practical purpose. I always thought they were just another way to spend money on your trailer.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    I never knew that under lights served a practical purpose. I always thought they were just another way to spend money on your trailer.
    Are you talking about a pickup truck right? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I would have thought rodents chewing on exposed wiring would be a much bigger concern during longer term storage or idle periods? What to do during those times? How much stuff is there to chew on down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I would have thought rodents chewing on exposed wiring would be a much bigger concern during longer term storage or idle periods? What to do during those times? How much stuff is there to chew on down there?
    It's mostly the snowbirds who stay for two weeks at a time. One or two nights is probably safe, but I liked the look, and a 48' string of lights was $25. I'll coil them up and put them in a compartment this morning when we pack up.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Travel trailer maintenance and repair. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but slides are out of my wheelhouse. I dropped the trailer off at a local repair place to get the slides adjusted so they fit more flush when retracted. I never had any water leakage, but I figure a trailer "tune-up" every few years isn't a bad thing. The trailer is almost five years old, I'll probably replace the tires before we head north in May.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea. Rolling houses. Drive enough bumpy miles and everything comes loose or out of adjustment sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)