Thread: bi-axial non-crimp uni-CF

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bi-axial non-crimp uni-CF

For those of you who wet-wrap DF (or want to try), I have access to non-crimp bi-axial CF. This is usually hard to find unless one orders a special run from one of a few mills capable of producing it.

What's so great about non-crimp bi-axial CF?
    1) This stuff drapes like anything. It's binder is much more flexible than that in any plain uni-directional I've ever used. It's very easy to get it to conform to complex shapes. Unlike regular uni-CF, binding threads aren't glued to the CF, so they don't limit drape or flexibility.
    2) Super high quality, this is left over from rocket R&D. Toray T700 11.2 oz/sqyd.
    3) Like a normal uni-CF, the fibers are straight, not crimped as in a weave or knit. CF is strongest when it is straight - crimps reduce strength - hence this is CF in its strongest geometry.
    4) Faster build-up of material - you're laying up two layers at a time - at +/- 45 degrees. Great for making torque resistant structures.

This material does unravel along the edges more easily. My solutions (depending on the situation) are: 1) oversize my piece and trim off the excess in place (while wet); 2) light mist of 3M 77 spray adhesive on the edges.

My contact has up to 2 full 90 yard rolls plus a bit more available (for the first time in about a year). He's asking $40/yd for 2 or more yds (plus shipping) or $25/yd in roll size lots (again plus shipping). If anyone is interested in ordering some true rocket material, please email me at r_guggemos(at)msn.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images