Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    At what point does the cargo of a burning, sinking, abandoned vessel on the high seas become a shipwreck that can be salvaged?
    Welcome to Maritime Law. One of my wife's colleagues was an expert in Maritime Law. He worked on some part of the salvage rights for the ship full of Volvos that capsized and then got rammed by another ship in the English Channel. I know from his stories that Maritime Law is slightly esoteric International system of rules with precedents set sometimes way in the past but there is never a shortage of work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Salvage law is complicated. Right now if someone could airlift cars off the ship, you'd only be entitled to a portion of the proceeds.
    Let's say the fire miraculously went out, and you were first to board the ship and claim salvage. You could claim compensation, but the cargo still belongs to whoever was shipping, and the ship still belongs to the owner. You'd probably have 2 years to wait for a arbitrator for Lloyds to make a ruling..

Otherwise, you are just a pirate. You may want to grow a beard first.
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Welcome to Maritime Law. One of my wife's colleagues was an expert in Maritime Law. He worked on some part of the salvage rights for the ship full of Volvos that capsized and then got rammed by another ship in the English Channel. I know from his stories that Maritime Law is slightly esoteric International system of rules with precedents set sometimes way in the past but there is never a shortage of work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage
    So what I hear you guys saying is that if we marshaled all of the resources of VSalon, we could have it done by Tuesday, midafternoon at the latest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    So what I hear you guys saying is that if we marshaled all of the resources of VSalon, we could have it done by Tuesday, midafternoon at the latest.
    I'll get my paddle.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books