User Tag List

Thread: Old guys thread - BPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old guys thread - BPH

Lately at night I've been waking up a bit more often than I'd like to pee, even though I try to do the easy stuff, like not drink anything an hour or two before bed, so I'm thinking of trying some of OTC supplements that folks say may help.

Based on what I've found at this link (and I do take all of this info with a pinch of salt): https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/condi...erplasia+(bph)
    it sounds like pygeum and beta-sitosterol supplements are the ones most likely to help out. (before reading that I'd been focusing on saw palmetto, but it sounds like that's no better than a placebo)

Anyone out there care to provide any additional thoughts?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Old guys thread - BPH

Live in a house with wood heat: you will transpire any excess water. I have to get up to drink water.

The harder part of the equation is learning how to get back to sleep again.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Lately at night I've been waking up a bit more often than I'd like to pee, even though I try to do the easy stuff, like not drink anything an hour or two before bed, so I'm thinking of trying some of OTC supplements that folks say may help.

Based on what I've found at this link (and I do take all of this info with a pinch of salt): https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/condi...erplasia+(bph)
    it sounds like pygeum and beta-sitosterol supplements are the ones most likely to help out. (before reading that I'd been focusing on saw palmetto, but it sounds like that's no better than a placebo)

Anyone out there care to provide any additional thoughts?

TIA
    I'd skip supplements and if I have to pee, pee. . .

However, during the day when you are awake, pee less often. I've heard we can get in the habit of peeing too often which conditions us to think as soon as we need to pee a little, we have to go.
    Try this before putting any supplements into your body which is often untested voodoo sh!t in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urination urgency can be a sign of an enlarged prostate. Enlarged prostate is ‘sort of normal’ as a man ages but also can be something more serious. Please go to a doc and get it checked out.

Experience talking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    The harder part of the equation is learning how to get back to sleep again.
    Get one of those Itty Bitty lights and read once you return to bed. That's what I do and it helps me fall back asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    Urination urgency can be a sign of an enlarged prostate. Enlarged prostate is ‘sort of normal’ as a man ages but also can be something more serious. Please go to a doc and get it checked out.

Experience talking
    THIS. My doctor says the litmus test of "do we begin to treat this" is if you have to rise TWICE per night to urinate. But discussion with your doctor, and maybe some tests, are better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Late last year I had to cancel my check-up with my GP. When I do go in to see him this will probably be (from my current perspective) the only thing I have to ask about.