Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dune... is bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dune... is bad.

I'm looking forward to the second Dune as I loved the first one so I'm open to it but for me the second Blade Runner (2049) was a disappointment...the first was stellar with the limited dialogue, darkness and shadows, the rain, music by Vangelis...
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blade Runner 2049 was amazingly disappointing

Dune is a better result

Don't worry about the dialogues, the story or any other conceptual whatevers, get yourself into a big screened movietheater with loud dolby speakers and simply enjoy the amazing drone sounds, the wonderful clothing design and some beatiful frames which are like moving photographs (the bene gesserit march is worth the whole movie). I also like some of the minimalistic dark aesthetics if compared to the more baroque histrionic of David Lynch's take, which sometimes seemed a bit overdone. I also liked how the movie suggests the whole mesiah story is nothing but a government brainwash to the people with legends and the like so people end up believing whatever they're told to, all that was not really in the book or David Lynch's one, or at least I don't remember it like that. I prefer this conspiranoic take, looks like more what it might have been in reality. To be honest, I remember the book as quite a simple adventure story about some fight for power and family revenges on a future time, but nothing as mind challenging as any of the P.K.Dick masterpieces (do androids dream, Palmer Eldrich, etc), so you can't expect any film maker to create a complex story from something is not.
    Probably I would say first hour is better as a movie than the second hour which becomes more of a blockbuster new era star wars style stuff, specially the childish battle-hero stuff, but I guess they need to make it somehow approachable to all publics (tickets have to be sold). At least I hope some blockbuster people might appreciate the nice photography and open their minds to other aesthetics.

And anyway, it's just 7$ for almost three hours of quility entertainment, we should keep supporting arts in their proper places, or we'll all end up missing big screens and shared experiences with strange people. I hope cinema never becomes a private thing to enjoy at home in a tiny screen with damn netflixamazonwhatever. It's our responsibility to keep museums open, cinemas, musicians doing music, both with records and live concerts, local restaurants and so many real things, like mechanical shifting or rim brakes.

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    And anyway, it's just 7$ for almost three hours of quality entertainment, we should keep supporting arts in their proper places, or we'll all end up missing big screens and shared experiences with strange people. I hope cinema never becomes a private thing to enjoy at home in a tiny screen with damn netflixamazonwhatever. It's our responsibility to keep museums open, cinemas, musicians doing music, both with records and live concerts, local restaurants and so many real things, like mechanical shifting or rim brakes.
    Agree with this 100%. I don't watch much of anything at home (mostly read books), but I do enjoy going to see movies at the theater, especially if they are of an epic scale (such as Dune, LOTR, Star Wars, etc.). Also, live music is best! Although I like more intimate, small venues for music, rather than stadium-type shows.

We are going to see Dune this Saturday, so I will reserve judgement until then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like there’s a number of interesting movies to see this weekend:

- The Electrical Life of Louis Wain
    - The French Dispatch
    - Mass
    - The Velvet Underground
    - Wife of A Spy
    - Bergman Island

Btw, I fell asleep watching Dune.

:-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched it last night and was underwhelmed in the end.

Paul and his mother fleeing across the sand: insert dialogue: "let's get out of here."

I liked Blade Runner, especially the music.

I heard the Velvet film was special.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who gets into a movie theater for $7 these days? I think the last time I went I spent $10 more than that. And reserved seats were not possible, which meant our party had to sit at opposite ends of the theater. And the audience just never shut up. Plus all the glowing screens from texting. NYC is probably the worst place to see a movie.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Who gets into a movie theater for $7 these days? I think the last time I went I spent $10 more than that. And reserved seats were not possible, which meant our party had to sit at opposite ends of the theater. And the audience just never shut up. Plus all the glowing screens from texting. NYC is probably the worst place to see a movie.
    Ongoing pandemic aside, I'd be hard-pressed to pay current movie-ticket prices to go have an experience like that. I last saw a film in theaters about three years ago, and it was a similar experience. I'm all for supporting the arts, but to me that means paying musicians good prices for FLAC files, forking over $ to watch quality cinema at home (for Dune we used a projector against the inside of our barn doors, and brought a 5-speaker soundystem outside to run off a solar battery)... I don't need to experience this under anyone else's constraints, and certainly not for the price they ask. Supporting the arts comes in many forms and only one of them is stale popcorn and overpriced recliners in a room full of people on their phones.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aimar lives in Galicia, Spain.

Also if you are a cinema addict there are subscriptions that lower the price quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Ongoing pandemic aside, I'd be hard-pressed to pay current movie-ticket prices to go have an experience like that. I last saw a film in theaters about three years ago, and it was a similar experience. I'm all for supporting the arts, but to me that means paying musicians good prices for FLAC files, forking over $ to watch quality cinema at home (for Dune we used a projector against the inside of our barn doors, and brought a 5-speaker soundystem outside to run off a solar battery)... I don't need to experience this under anyone else's constraints, and certainly not for the price they ask. Supporting the arts comes in many forms and only one of them is stale popcorn and overpriced recliners in a room full of people on their phones.
    I use a beamer at home but I still like going to the theater once in a while.

I just wish the sound was set a bit lower and Hollywood had an idea how to mix sound. The later also applying when watching at home, why is the music set so loud compared to the dialog, this doesn't make sense.

As for the others annoyance, I guess you get the experience you merit. The more people avoid the theaters because of bad habits from others, the more those theaters are occupied only by people with bad habits. I don't recall having been annoyed by other people phone during a movie, people tend to watch the movie in my area.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-28-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we lived in Prague, reserved seats were the rule not the exception. Also the theaters were smaller. Quieter. That made going to the movies more of a spontaneous thing. And enjoyable.

Rant over. Just another one of those things where the rejoinder is "but you get to live in NYC!"
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the book (I think the whole original trilogy) as a teen. This movie left me unmoved.

The Velvet Underground doc, on the other hand, I highly recommend.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Aimar lives in Galicia, Spain.
    I'm from Bilbao, not Galicia, but no worries ;)

When we lived in Prague, reserved seats were the rule not the exception. Also the theaters were smaller. Quieter. That made going to the movies more of a spontaneous thing. And enjoyable.

Rant over. Just another one of those things where the rejoinder is "but you get to live in NYC!"
    I'm sure you already know all this, but seems like you still have some cool places there,
    Anthology film archives
    film forum
    Film at Lincoln Center
    metrograph
    Regal battery park

I wish I had such wide choice here, if I want to avoid the damn multiplex theaters I do only have two cinemas, which are the ones I go to. average price is 5€, always reserved seats, and most people respect basic behaviour.

Anyway, I read people complaining about audicence talking, gloiwing phone screens and popcorn, well, tell me when was the last concert you didn't have to see all damn phone screens recording a live concert instead of enjoying the live performance in the flesh. It's not about cinema, it's just the kind of society we're becoming, that's why it's most important we support those little places where they still care for the real deal (like these cool cinemas without drinks or food, small concert halls, etc. Part of what is available is in our hands. Fuck spotify, netflix, multiplex movies or wireless electronic groupsets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oups sorry Aimar ;-)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    I'm from Bilbao, not Galicia, but no worries ;)

I'm sure you already know all this, but seems like you still have some cool places there,
    Anthology film archives
    film forum
    Film at Lincoln Center
    metrograph
    Regal battery park

I wish I had such wide choice here, if I want to avoid the damn multiplex theaters I do only have two cinemas, which are the ones I go to. average price is 5€, always reserved seats, and most people respect basic behaviour.

Anyway, I read people complaining about audicence talking, gloiwing phone screens and popcorn, well, tell me when was the last concert you didn't have to see all damn phone screens recording a live concert instead of enjoying the live performance in the flesh. It's not about cinema, it's just the kind of society we're becoming, that's why it's most important we support those little places where they still care for the real deal (like these cool cinemas without drinks or food, small concert halls, etc. Part of what is available is in our hands. Fuck spotify, netflix, multiplex movies or wireless electronic groupsets.

Yeah I know, that's what I mean. "But you get to live in NYC." I have no excuse.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Agree. That´s why movies need to step up to masterpieces if cinemas want to stay in businness. I will watch any cr@p on line but if i go out, pay for tickts and popcorn then standards are raised.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preferred movie theater is $5 and has a bar at the snack bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad that the new Dune film has fueled this discussion.
    I have no opinion on this film, but I do wish that an in person visit to a big screen were more like it was when I was younger.
    I'm pretty sure there is a big discrepancy on our experiences based on where we live.
    I don't think the desired experience is a great divide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We decided to watch Dune over two nights because my wife rarely can stay awake long after dinner no matter what we are watching. I enjoyed it. I really like Blade Runner 2049 mostly for the soundtrack which is proper Atmos.

As for theaters, over the years my TV room has gotten better and theaters have gotten worse. I have tried most of the theaters around here and even some far away and none of them are that good. I used to really enjoy going to see the blockbusters on the big screen but if I'm paying $50 for two of us then I don't want to see the Exit signs reflecting off the screen in the dark scenes. The only draw that theaters have now is the popcorn. I make pretty good popcorn but nothing is quite the same as theater popcorn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw Rocky when it first came out in a theater on 42nd Street. It was epic, the audience going wild and providing running commentary. Saw Play Misty for Me when it first came out and the theater erupted when he knocked her over the railing at the end.

Sometimes in person is best.

But I watched Dune at home on HBO so I did not have to drive for an hour and a half.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of NYC movie theaters have (and had pre-pandemic) reserved seating, particularly those with the reclining seats. AMC at 84th and Broadway for example. Of course it costs more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only had to read the plot of Dune, and a few comments on the plot to know it was not a movie I cared about. I took a risk in seeing the new Bond movie, but it was Ok. Not great but worth watching. I enjoyed it. I also saw "The Rescue", a documentary on the Thailand boys being rescued from the cave. It was excellent. Really excellent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast