Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The CDC has changed advisement on this. Originally they said wait 90 days. Now they are saying asap after recovery, especially for second shot. The immunities you get from the vaccine are more consistently protective than the immunities you get from infection. See this article and check the CDC site:

https://khn.org/news/article/the-sho...ng-vaccinated/
    Isn't he describing a type of breakthrough infection? Obviously not a true breakthrough infection as he's not fully vaccinated but likely infected after having some immunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Isn't he describing a type of breakthrough infection? Obviously not a true breakthrough infection as he's not fully vaccinated but likely infected after having some immunity.
    I think that's what the article is about, yes. Or are you talking about Dustin? Breakthrough is when you are fully vaccinated and done with the period afterwards so resulting immunities are presumably at full strength. That's not what Dustin had. His positive test came 5 days after his first vaccine, so he could have been infected before his vaccination. At any rate, as I understand the maturation of immunities post-vaccine, 5 days isn't enough to gain any real protection.

Originally the CDC said that you get about 90 days of immunity from infection antibodies after you've gotten covid-19. So their advice was to reschedule your second vaccine for after those 90 days so you were sure that you did not develop lingering symptoms or other complications. That's how I understand the rationale. Now however the CDC is saying that you should go ahead and get the second vaccine as soon as you are completely recovered from covid-19. Again, as I understand it, this is because the immunities conveyed by the vaccine are more comprehensive & longer lasting that those gained through infection. Why that would be I don't know.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books