Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: NE Skiing: Intel needed

I grew up in PA and skied through college and into my mid-20s. During those years, I wore a helmet on the bike but never once on the slopes. In that photo, every head has a helmet. Love it. How warm are they? Guessing there is a huge opportunity to combine protection and warmth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    I grew up in PA and skied through college and into my mid-20s. During those years, I wore a helmet on the bike but never once on the slopes. In that photo, every head has a helmet. Love it. How warm are they? Guessing there is a huge opportunity to combine protection and warmth.
    Warm. They are comfy. I actually think the thing that made them ubiquitous is goggles. With a hard shell, and strap retainer, goggles are so much more comfy to wear with a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Warm. They are comfy. I actually think the thing that made them ubiquitous is goggles. With a hard shell, and strap retainer, goggles are so much more comfy to wear with a helmet.
    I think state laws requiring children under 14 to wear helmets created a whole group of young skiers who just always wore one. If you are going to make your kids wear one, as a parent, you will wear one too.

For the younger kids, there is a cool factor because the cool kids in the park are wearing helmets.

Here's a photo of me and some friends on a snowboard trip in the himalayas in the late 90's. Helicopter and all off piste. Not a helmet to be seen.

23 yrs later, on the bunny slope...

I look like a robot from a bad B movie.

Fortunately, Oakley Mod Helmets and Goggles fit together nicely with ventilation. So since you have to be masked up this year, it fogs less than just goggles and a hat, or sunglasses and a hat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to NE intel. The suggestions above to try smaller venues are sound. Catamount had relatively ( my recent experience has been at Gore and Whiteface early last season) few people. No line was longer than a six minute wait, slopes not crowded. Even the lodge if you’re patient seats could be found in partitioned areas they put together.

I would like a partial refund from the people who suggested it. It’s been cold and icy the past 3 days but no new snow. I’m heading home to 6 inches of fresh pow in my driveway!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Back to NE intel. The suggestions above to try smaller venues are sound. Catamount had relatively ( my recent experience has been at Gore and Whiteface early last season) few people. No line was longer than a six minute wait, slopes not crowded. Even the lodge if you’re patient seats could be found in partitioned areas they put together.

I would like a partial refund from the people who suggested it. It’s been cold and icy the past 3 days but no new snow. I’m heading home to 6 inches of fresh pow in my driveway!!
    Cheer up, the lifts will be on wind hold. Always are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snowing now! And our landscapers are building a bonfire this morning to eat up all the cleared brush and pine. You could have stopped in for an outdoors warm up!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Snowing now! And our landscapers are building a bonfire this morning to eat up all the cleared brush and pine. You could have stopped in for an outdoors warm up!
    As a native Californian, burn season came as a revelation when I first bought our land. I have had some epic burns clearing fields, all day affairs. That said, I have many large piles surrounding the fields left as coarse woody debris for habitat. Critters love them.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned to ski at Catamount, and have lots of fond memories. It's a nice little hill because not only are there fewer people, the types of people who do go are usually more local and chill. I'd take Catamount any day over somewhere in the Catskills with easy thruway access for city folks. Plus it's a much nicer drive up the taconic or 22, if you're coming from the south. It's the equivalent of Badger pass out here in CA, a very small hill within the bounds of Yosemite NP. Small, local folks, more fun and less irritation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    As a native Californian, burn season came as a revelation when I first bought our land. I have had some epic burns clearing fields, all day affairs. That said, I have many large piles surrounding the fields left as coarse woody debris for habitat. Critters love them.
    We have those too. The white-throated sparrows spend the entire winter in them I think. And the only rabbit I've seen around here came out of one. Never lived in a place where rabbits were so scarce and state conservation is encouraging people to create rabbit habitat. So we have four piles for the animals. The burning today was new stuff.

Snow looks great. Big flakes. Soften over all the bumps but now finding icy patches is a surprise.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yes, it started to snow heavily around 12:30 as my wife and son said they’d had enough. My daughter and I took a couple more runs including a run thru Upper and Lower Glade, then we went to O’s Diner for lunch before heading home to 4 inches of wet heavy snow.

The place was noticeably more crowded today with a lot of young people wearing racing team gear, perhaps practicing for a race. Racers practicing and parents with toddlers on leashes = lots of near disasters! But definitely better than being at one of the larger hills in the Catskills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it started to snow heavily around 12:30 as my wife and son said they’d had enough. My daughter and I took a couple more runs including a run thru Upper and Lower Glade, then we went to O’s Diner for lunch before heading home to 4 inches of wet heavy snow.

The place was noticeably more crowded today with a lot of young people wearing racing team gear, perhaps practicing for a race. Racers practicing and parents with toddlers on leashes = lots of near disasters! But definitely better than being at one of the larger hills in the Catskills.
    Glad it worked out. Like a lot of places, the area is more fun without covid, but some things are just more crowded.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    ski helmets are incredibly warm. I even grab mine for coldweather MTB rides.