We were trying to get a color as close as possible to IKB (Yves Klein Blue) for a friend's bike. None of the standard Going by the chips and samples we chose HOK 0437-00 Savage Sapphire

1st mix I did by volume 3:1 (Blue to FX Magenta) and then reduced that 2:1. Resulted in a very, very, very royal purple. It cooled down a bit with a clear but still unacceptable.

2nd mix was done by weight. HOK suggests a ratio of 381.36 : 139.18g (2.74 : 1). Seeing how purple the first mix was I reduced the magenta and ended up with a ratio of 3.8 : 1 by weight. Reduced it. Cleared it. Less purple, more better but still very purple.

3rd time I mixed it up by eye and kept track of things on my scale. The result was a ratio of 4.8 : 1. It's close enough. My bud will be happy but it's still a good 10-15% off of the anticipated color. If this were a paying customer I'd have to re-spray this.

My guess is that a 5 : 1 ratio by weight would've gotten me there. That's far from the original 2.74 : 1.

This is my first time working with HoK products. Usually we're having a color mixed to match a Pantone chip. It's always been super close.

I'd love some insights from more experienced painters.