Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
Septic field will be a meadow. That's to the north of the house. This company sells high percentage germination seed mixes in amounts of 1000 sq ft or more, and the mix is designed to grow in the sand and gravel of the septic field without adding topsoil. Once established it should reseed itself and has a nice mix of pollinator plants and seed head plants for birds.

We have a second clearing that we are going to build a platform with a screened in area and a fire pit. It will be linked to the house by a relatively short path through the woods. Originally it was the second house site with the property was two separate parcels. One of these days, we might put a swimming pool in there. Seems kind of ridiculous though.
Meadows are really nice. There's a lovely one near my brother in Ann Arbor that's really a pleasure to wander through. A meadow ain't necessarily a lawn, though...

I was embarrassed to find myself wanting a lawn, even a small one - it's so American suburban. But this summer, even as that spot got turned into a staging area for the patio project, it was a really nice evening hang out spot. Now the fence gives that space definition and a bit of privacy. The Adirondack chairs won't be far behind!