Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oak Entry Door

My home was built in the 1950s and got renovated by the previous owner in 1986. During that renovation they put a crappy contractor grade steel door on the front. This year we had a a local craftsman (Lothlorien Woodworking in Oompah, Ontario) build us an oak entry one. Full custom. We specified rift-sawn oak because my wife and I like straight grained oak but neither of us like the flecks and rays in quarter sawn oak. We gave the builder, John Inglis, a picture of a door we liked and he provided us with stain samples. I was particular about construction: full mortise and tenon build. No biscuits, no floating tenon, no dowels. Overall it was a great experience, not unlike buying a handmade bike: the salesman, builder and delivery man are the same guy. Locally sourced lumber too. It turned out that dealing with Lothlorien was cheaper than buying from door people who get their stuff made in a factory. Kinda like Crumpton being cheaper than Pinarello.

The installer (Mike) is a woodworker/guitar builder who does residential carpentry as a second business. I helped in the installation and find out that Mike is a draft dodger who came to Ottawa from Kansas City in 1968. He told me that if an American wanted to immigrate to Canada in 1968 all he/she had to do was to show up at a Canadian border crossing with $200 and apply in person. Mike said he waited about an hour at the Detroit/Windsor crossing and then was accepted into Canada. How times have changed! He told me that he doesn't mind an Ottawa winter but really misses the Kansas City summer. It never gets hot enough for him here. I just finished watching the PBS Vietnam War series (worthwhile IMO) and it was pretty cool to chat with someone from this time.

I love this door. And I got a good story out of it too.

Edit: Ooooh, I just noticed that this is post 888 for me. Very auspicious number for those of Chinese ancestry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page