Patagonia Black Hole 45 L duffle: 2x 3 week safaris in southern Africa with this an an old Patagonia briefcase, for Oly Mark II camera body, three lens, good binos, Patagonia houdini rain shell and a hat. Trips included two night stops in Paris in November so some warm stuff also essential. Everything washable - lot of wool or light synthetics, wool socks. Layering is your friend even off the bike. Now, the safari camps offered wash services which were essential (essentially someone else doing the handwashing and hanging on a line). But I'm perfectly happy to throw REI or ex officio boxers in a sink and hang on a line in the shower.

I haven't checked a bag, unless I'm taking a bike or going on extended dive trip with all my gear, in at least 5 years, maybe more. This Patagonia big is my go to and usually my only bag. Usually I can take a computer brief case fits within if the trip is 5 days or less. Waiting on bags and schlepping a lot of crap to cover my body in oversize heavy suitcases ain't my idea of a vacation. Yep, we all differ.