I was recently gifted a Glock G23 (.40 S&W) with a 2nd .357 S&W barrel.

I had never shot a pistol before. Wife's had a G37, and to be honest, it made me uncomfortable. Something triggered an interest back around November, late October ish. Mentioned it to wifey's parents and come Christmas time, they hand me a Glock. Her dad is big into guns, actually gave her the G37 (.45 GAP). As I said, I was too comfy at that time.

Before doing anything, I learned to field strip it. And a few days later I got a lesson. Like I said, I had never shot a pistol before and it had been 20yrs since shooting a rifle. I didn't want to make a mistake. The lesson was good, and I feel it made a substantial impact on my confidence.

I gotta say...I've become slightly obsessed with it. I've shot every weekend. The mechanics of the gun fascinate me. Very simple, yet powerful machines. Cleaning mine is relaxing. Like cleaning a bike. One of these days I'm going to sit down and learn how to completely disassemble it. I do intend to get my CCL, and have been dialing in my accuracy, as I'd like to maybe get into the sport.

As it turns out, they aren't as bad as I thought they were, provided knowledge and proper instruction.