I sometimes feel like a dapper gentleman, then I look down at the Izod budget need something in a hurry "oxfords" on my feet and a heavy yearning for something proper sets in. I can't take it anymore, enough is enough and something has to be done.

I need an everyday lace up oxford/brogue/derby that will be fitting for my mile of walking I do in my morning bus/coffee shop routine and help with the aforementioned lack of dapper.
I am not extremely picky but am fond of the Cognac/British Tan-ish colors and could stand a plain, cap toe or wingtip with the only exclusion being a long wing. I work at a law firm and business casual is my typical dress- khakis/pants, slim fit button down, sport coat and I like a tie to bring it all together most days.

I am leaning towards:

Allen Edmonds
Cole Haan
Clark's

Prior experience with footwear outside of cycling and running is limited to Hall's and Red Wing line boots that are mostly some form of welt construction. I have noticed some of the higher end shoes have similar construction, but must admit this is the only process outside of gluing I am familiar with so I really don't know what is important as far as durability goes. What else should I be looking at/for? Brands, construction and what have you.