Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
With the base egg, what would I looking at as far as accessories goes to get me into smoking? Thermometers, any recommendations? The previous Webers did fine as grills for burgers, chicken and steaks. I'm really looking to get into slap-yo-mama brisket/ribs/etc. Brisket first because I'm from Texas and cannot find anything proper up here. The butchers typically even remove the fat cap (Heathens!).
I have an iGrill 2. It works fine, but doesn't have very good range. Bluetooth connection sometimes drops from my phone requiring a restart of the thermometer base. Best thing is it isn't very expensive.

Get the ceramic heat diffuser thing. I think BGE calls it a plate setter? These two things, good charcoal, and some big oak lumps and you'll be all set.

Run your brisket however Aaron Franklin tells you to (though he isn't a big fan of these types of smokers) ... coarse black pepper, salt, no more than 0.25 inch thick fat cap, 275 degrees, wrap when the bark color is right. Run it with heat until it is done (skewer test, it's tough to put a probe in a brisket, though I always run one for smoker temp anyway) Rest it 1.4 times as long as you can stand to. At least an hour. I've gone as long as 4 hrs foiled and wrapped in towels in a cooler and it was still too hot to hold.

I highly recommend smoking a decent number of chickens to figure the thing out before buying a brisket.